Craftsmen Eninge trouble

Old 08-10-08, 09:53 PM
Craftsmen Eninge trouble

Well about a week ago the fuel solenoid broke so I ordered a new one through a local small engine shop. I installed it and now the lawnmower wont run. I acts like it is choking it self to death. It will run but smokes like crazy and acts like it is just on full choke, but if i manually move the choke nothing changes. It has a kohler 15 hp motor on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-08, 10:40 PM
Was the engine running OK before the fuel shutoff solenoid broke?

Did you remove the carburetor from the engine or disassemble the carburetor to replace the solenoid?

Fuel flow to the engine is controlled by the carburetor float setting, jet size, and the position of the choke. You've eliminated the choke, and I doubt you changed the jet.

Are you sure you got the correct replacement solenoid?

You may have done something to disturb the float, and it's sticking with the fuek inlet valve open and causing the engine to flood.

Old 08-11-08, 11:45 AM
I took the carb off because the solenoid actually snapped in half... dont ask me how because i dont know. so the remainder was left inside the carb so i had to back it out. I ordered the solenoid for the my 15 hp kohler engine. It was the one that matched up with it. I am thinking along the lines of something carb related, but i just can seem to find it. I recently took the float and everything off and cleaned it out real good with carb cleaner but that didnt work either. The thing still chokes it self like crazy and smokes.

Old 08-11-08, 01:08 PM
It sounds like you got something wrong when you put the carb back together.

Can you take a picture of the way the float and valve parts are installed, and post it here? It would be easy to spot if something is out of place or missing.

Having the model number and other info on the engine and tractor would help, too.

Old 08-11-08, 10:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A few of the craftsman kohlers had the main jet incorporated into the solenoid. Did your old solenoid have a brass jet at the very end of it? If so, did the new one have one as well?

Old 08-12-08, 12:58 PM
yes and yes im going to pull it apart and see if i missed something

Old 08-12-08, 03:39 PM
What are the Kohler numbers on this engine. By chance does it have the fuel management system? Is there a diaphgam with vacuum lines on the top or side of the carb?

Old 08-17-08, 12:08 PM
Family SKH4264162RB
Model CV15S
Spec 41525
Ok I have an update. I have torn the carb down and cleaned everything. It all looks to be in good shape.. I checked the float for any type of leak and there is none. With a little adjustment manually on the choke and throttle I can get it to run without smoking; however, it just doesnt run right now matter what i do. It seems to just run really hard on itself. Like it sounds wrong,and much louder.
I know it is a carb/linkage problem, but just cant seem to find the issue myself. It is really weird because before i had problems with it i would start it by putting the throttle all the way up and then when it ran for a min dropping it down to the little groove in the middle. Now i cant start it at all when its up it has to be somewhere in the middle or on the lower end. It wont run right in the groove it runs better just a little higher up.
I am tempted to make a quick video of it and putting it on youtube then giving you guys the link.

Old 08-17-08, 09:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
From the notch on the throttle upwards should be where the choke engages. Make sure the choke isn't already engaged. It should not begin to engage until the throttle lever is above the notch.

Old 08-19-08, 03:53 PM
It is really weird the mower runs better when the choke is engaged like a little bit above the notch. When i move it to the notch the choke opens up all the way but the engine seems to bog down like it is being choked to death. Starts smoking and shaking.

Old 08-19-08, 03:58 PM
What color smoke??

Is the crankcase perhaps overfull of oil??

Old 08-19-08, 05:24 PM
It's blackish smoke.........

Old 08-19-08, 09:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you visually verify that the choke butterfly is indeed opening fully when you lower the throttle? It doesn't make sense that it would run richer and smoke MORE with the choke off than it does with the choke on.

Old 08-20-08, 07:41 AM
Yes it is wide open.. IT has me confused too thats why I came here.

Old 08-20-08, 09:21 AM
I figure one of the following happened:

You got the wrong solenoid.

You left something out when you installed the new solenoid.

You left some part (a gasket?) of the old solenoid in the carburetor when you removed it.

Any of these could mess up the mixture control, and make the engine run rough with black exhaust smoke. The mixture is way too rich.

Old 08-20-08, 09:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't imagine any condition you would have caused by changing the fuel solenoid that would allow it to run richer with the choke off than with it on. Generally the enging would choke itself to the point of cutting off with full choke, and it seems like the condition would be even worse with a rich condition from the get-go. Is the area between the carb and intake sealed and the gasket intact?

Does the engine oil smell like gas? Is it overfull with oil?

Old 08-21-08, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I have to agree all of those things are kinda far-fetched.

I went back over the posts. It appears the engine is running OK until he finds the solenoid broken in half. He doesn't know how it got broken.

Maybe whatever happened to break the solenoid also messed up the linkage that controls the choke. Could the throttle cable have been hooked up incorrectly when the carburetor was reinstalled?

A couple of good pictures would really help here.

Old 08-31-08, 12:51 PM
Update......... I have been real busy and just got time to work on it today. It did have a little to much oil, but I found out thats not the problem. With the lawnmower running i took off the air filter and watched what happened when i moved the choke up and down. The choke sits at about half way open when it is above the notch for mowing, but it smokes a bit. However when i move it down you see the choke open all the way up but gas starts shooting out of it like its getting way too much gas and it just kills it self pretty much.

Old 08-31-08, 01:27 PM
Ok well im pretty sure that it is the float not closing all the way, but I dont know how to adjust it.

Old 08-31-08, 11:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no adjustment for the float. If it's not seating all the way, then gas is going to be leaking from the carb, possibly onto the frame and ground, and into the engine oil when it's not in use. Is this happening? Unless for some reason it's just happening when the engine is running (odd, but odd things happen). To fix this, clean the seat, replace the needle, and check to be sure the float isn't damaged.

Old 09-01-08, 07:51 AM
So what would cause the gas to just spray everywhere inside the air intake when its in run???

Old 09-01-08, 10:08 AM
Well I am planning on just ordering a new carb for it. Can you guys help me find out where and what carb to order?
Family SKH4264162RB
Model CV15S
Spec 41525
I know the carb is nikki

Old 09-01-08, 11:07 AM
There is definitely gas in the oil and prior to the solenoid breaking gas was leaking from the bowl, and is still leaking onto the frame. Here are a few pictures of the current carb.
http://www.filecram.com/files/will 001.jpg
http://www.filecram.com/files/will 002.jpg
http://www.filecram.com/files/will 003.jpg
http://www.filecram.com/files/will 004.jpg
http://www.filecram.com/files/will 005.jpg
http://www.filecram.com/files/will 006.jpg
http://www.filecram.com/files/will 007.jpg
http://www.filecram.com/files/will 008.jpg
http://www.filecram.com/files/will 009.jpg
Well after working with the carb a bit I think the float and needle are going to seat right. IF it doesnt i am going to just order a new carb, but i hope those pics can help. After looking at all the pics its odd because the float actually levels out right, but usually when i look at the float it will sit angled up from the carb and not parallel.

Last edited by wmgatorfan; 09-01-08 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-01-08, 12:59 PM
CARBURETOR W/GASKET Kohler PN# 12 853 68-S

This should be the replacement part number for the carburetor on your engine.

Old 09-01-08, 01:05 PM
whats the best website to order it from?

Old 09-01-08, 05:00 PM
http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/...er_Carburetors

I have purchased some engnes from this company before, and they have a reasonable price on the carburetor. You can google the part number and should come up with several suppliers. I also have used Sears for parts and Jacks small engines. There are many dealers selling online.

Old 09-02-08, 09:23 AM
ordered the carb.. will update when it gets here... thanks for all the help so far

Old 09-05-08, 03:28 PM
New carb isntalled.. so far everything is running great. THANKS for the help!!!

Old 09-05-08, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good news! Thanks for the update!

Old 09-06-08, 03:02 PM
Another update... just mowed a little over an acre of thick grass and it worked beautifully.
I truly appreciate that help guys!!!