Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

16hp Briggs Vanguard ignition/ running help

08-12-08, 04:50 PM   #1  
16hp Briggs Vanguard ignition/ running help

I bought a 15 year old, high-end pressure washer with a 16hp Briggs Vanguard engine on it. It ran good when I tested it. And, when I went to use it, it ran okay then died. After setting awhile, it would start again, but would only run a few minutes and die. I took it to the local dealer and they put in a new carb, tuned it up and serviced it, cleaned the fuel tank, and replaced the fuel line. Over $400 lighter, I went to use it. It still did the same thing.

I started exploring. I found the red wire coming off of what I think is the alternator laying on the deck with no connector end on it.

We pulled the ignition switch cover loose and laid it on the tire. Uh-oh, we rolled it to a different spot in the shop and forgot about the ignition switch laying on the tire. We knocked all of the wires off of the switch. Upon inspection of the switch, it had a couple of dark spots on the terminal. So, I purchased another generic since that is all that was available locally.

These are the wires I have, and it is a generic 5 prong switch. Any idea what wires should be hot when? I can do a continuity test on the switch.

The wires that I have are...red to alternator, orange to battery side of solenoid, black to terminal on engine- then to bottom of oil filter, yellow to start side of solenoid.

I purchased a repair manual online. But, the manual addresses a 6 position switch, not a 5 position. First, I need to reinstall the switch, then tackle the dying issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! The engine is mdl #303447MDL, type 0348-02, code 93102211.
Thanks in advance!
Al

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-12-08, 11:34 PM   #2  
From your description, I'd connect the orange and red wire to the terminal marked B on the switch, the black to the M terminal, yellow to the S terminal. You can connect the red wire to any spot that has battery power with the engine running assuming it is in fact the alternator wire.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-13-08, 05:06 AM   #3  
Hi Cheese,
Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it! Any idea where I will hook up the black low oil sensor wire. I guess it is not absolutely necessary, but it seems nice to have it.

Hopefully the switch was the reason it was dying. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Al

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-13-08, 11:46 PM   #4  
Tie that wire in with the kill wire from the coil at the terminal on the engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread