Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Primer bulb

OH

08-13-08, 06:45 PM   #1  
Primer bulb

I'm working on a toro snowthrower(two stroke). I have to push the primer bulb numerous(12 to 15) times to get the engine to start. Wasn't that way when new. So I take things apart to get to the carb thinking maybe the bulb is leaking or the line to the carb is leaking. Everything seems OK. But, I notice when I push the bulb I hear air coming out of the carb. The air is coming out of a little hole(about .020) that looks to be in line with the primer hose if you were to follow the line thru the carb. Kinda like it's suppose to be there. Was this hole blocked off at one time? Should it be there? If I hold my finger over the hole and pump the bulb it feels like I'm pushing gas. Any thougts? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-13-08, 11:14 PM   #2  
Generally poor primer operation on tecumsehs is due to a bad bowl gasket. Replace that (the rubber ring at the top of the bowl) and see if it improves.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 08-14-08 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typo city

WI

08-14-08, 07:25 AM   #3  
Yes that hole is supposed to be there. That's how the fuel gets into the throat of the carb to be sucked into the engine via the intake stroke. If you need to push the primer that many times there's probably some internal blockage in the carburetors jetting that's preventing the right amount of fuel needed to get it up and running. Was it stored with leftover fuel..? That'll gum things up for sure.

Search this Thread