Craftsman mowing deck tilted down on left side

Old 08-13-08, 12:42 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman mowing deck tilted down on left side

My Craftsman is now mowing with the left side of the deck low on the lawn, and the right side at normal depth, giving me an angled cut. It is at an angle at all depths, 1 through 6. I don't see any clear mechanical issues, but I only examined once, and I'm not sure what I should look for, exactly. Any ideas?

Old 08-13-08, 02:34 PM
A
Most likely the deck needs adjusting. Your owners manual should have all the details for adjusting the deck. If you need a manual you may find it at the link below for Craftsman and other Sears products.

http://www.managemyhome.com/

Old 08-13-08, 11:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I'd like to add that most commonly I find angled cuts are due to a low tire on one side. One other thing on some craftsmans is the deck hanger from the mower frame to the deck often breaks right where the lift link with the adjustment goes through it. Check that area too.

The aluminum mandrel held on with 3 bolts can break and tilt with belt tension applied, so look at them and be sure all three arms are not broken.

Is the deck tilted looking, or just the cut? If it's just the cut, it could be a bent blade or the broken mandrel I mentioned. If it was cutting level, and now it's not, then something broke, bent, or changed to allow that to happen. Just a matter of finding it.

Old 08-14-08, 01:33 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
Sometimes the deck cracks right where the front bracket is that mounts the deck to the mower. Clean it off well and look there also.
If it is cracked a good welder can fix it right up. You have to be sure it is the same height as it originally was or it will still mow slanted.
They do sell new decks by themselves (no mandrels or pulleys) or you could order a complete deck..belt and all. Price is all the difference.
Also if you have the gauge wheels on your deck they can wear and cause uneven cutting.

Old 08-14-08, 04:21 PM
A
thanks for your responses, everyone. I just went out and checked it again, and I couldn't find anything bent, cracked or broken... but the deck definitely had a slant. So I actually loosened the bolt on the hanging spar(?) that holds up the horizontal bracket... by loosening, I brought the right side of the deck down, which has evened out my cut. not sure this is the right thing, but it seems to have made the difference.... we'll see if it lasts.

Old 08-14-08, 09:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Yep, that's the adjustment that Airman mentioned. Glad you got it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: