old yardmachine lawn tractor

Old 08-16-08, 10:37 AM
old yardmachine lawn tractor

Hi, I have an MTD 42" cut yard machine , I bought it used back in 2000. I have kept it alive so far but right now it is not wanting to start without turning the blades in wich case it will not start because of the pull on the motor. My husband "not machanically inclined" decided to take over and replace the belts that I bought as per the specs. and he decided I had bought one of the wrong belts. So he replaced what I bought while I was gone. Now the blade will not stop turning ,I have shortened the disengagement rod until the deck belt fell off but it still turns the blades when you try to start it after I put them back on. Also the deck is sitting at a angle so when I raise the deck it hits the engine pulley, I checked and the deck is hooked up right, and so are the belts.HELP, is the front drive belt wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-08, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by FinishedDIY View Post
is the front drive belt wrong?

That's very possible, The belt guides on each side of the lower engine pulley could be bent away from the pulley and not helping disengagement.

You should not have had to make any adjustments had the proper belt been installed before you installed this new one.

Most MTD belts are odd sized and wrapped differently than a off the shelf generic belt.

Post the model number off this unit and the proper belt part number can be verified.

Also, If the wrong belt is installed the deck can nose down in the front.

Old 08-16-08, 11:11 AM
13AM675G062
I got
Front-0280A
Rear- 0370
engine to deck-0371A

Old 08-16-08, 02:03 PM
OK,

If the deck belt number you posted is stamped in the belt (maybe packed wrong ?) it is the proper one for your unit.

If the deck is hung back under the unit properly and both belt guards #4 over the spindle pulleys and both pulley belt guides #19 along with the belt/deck tension/engagement spring #45 are ALL in the proper place/positions and the engagement rod #43 is adjusted so when the handle #41 is pulled from the highest mowing setting slot the deck starts to move forward this unit should be working as intended.

Sorry for running all that as a paragraph, Double check all these items and see if you don't find the problem.

Good Luck

Old 08-16-08, 11:09 PM
Would also like to say in addition to what 31yTech describes. Check the front drive pulley, if the pulley has been rubbing on the mower deck, the lower lip of the pulley can get "turned" up and grab the drive belt all the time. If this has happened to the stack pulley on the engine, it will need to be replaced, or you may never get the belt to disengage properly.

You need to readjust the deck drive engagement as it's pushing the deck forward too far and engaging the engine pulley. There are also some brake pads that are supposed to engage the spindle pulleys on the mower deck when the blades are disengaged, these may need to be replaced if they are worn out or missing.