Transmission Problem on Honda HR214 SX mower with GXV120 engine

Old 08-20-08, 06:34 AM
Transmission Problem on Honda HR214 SX mower with GXV120 engine

I recently found the mower for a bargain price but it has issues that I would appreciate some guidance on fixing / trouble shooting.

One problem is the transmission does not work.

What to do or try with the transmission? The transmission has a direct drive shaft from the engine. When the engine is running so is the shaft to the transmission. I have tried to study the cable arrangements going to the transmission/control levers but I don’t understand how it works. Looks like there are two cables. One is for the ?safety handle bar? and the other engage/disengage the transmission. Whenever I try to engage the lever for the transmission it does nothing accept stretch the spring attached to the cable. The lever does not self lock, does not (best I can tell) pull the cable taught. When you release the lever it just slams back to its original position because of the stretched spring. This happens regardless of the position of the ?safety handle bar? I have not completely studied the transmission body but I don’t think I saw any signs of fluid leakage. What should I try next???

History: I bought the mower used from the original owner and he bought it 15+years ago. Based on the appearance of the mower I would say it was not maintained. Dirty engine oil, caked up dirt/oil on the outside of the engine body, pine needles embedded in tight nooks and crannies on the topside of the mower, intake after air filter had a layer of dust/dirt, pull chord did not retract fully, loose nuts / bolts on handle bars. The blade clutch works great and engine runs strong but smokes.

Sicker on the aluminum deck: 6151881
Engine Block: GXV120-1704333
Carburetor part number: 03AJKHL

http://hayward.arinet.com/scripts/Em...d&Partner=HYWD

I think this is it?

http://www.planopower.com/store/honda/hr214sxa.shtml

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-08, 07:36 AM
Follow the cable down to where it connects to the lever on the transmission, and try and determine if the cable is working the lever on the transmission when the engaged at the handle. It could be that the cable is frozen inside the outer conduit and not working the clutch in the transmission. This would be the simplest thing. If its working the clutch, then maybe it just needs some adjusting, you can tighten up the tension by the adjustment where the cable attaches up near the top of the handle. If neither of these suggestions help, then the problem may lie within the transmission itself.

Let us know what you find and we can follow up from there.

Best of Luck...

Old 08-20-08, 04:32 PM
30yearTech,

Thanks for the reply(s). Ok, so I tracked the cables down to the transmission and the one connected to a lever does not move. Meaning the lever does not move. Almost like it's stuck. I used a screw driver and hammer to tap it up and down to try and force it to hinge eitherway and nothing happens. The position of the lever is parallel to the ground / tansmission body. Don't know if that means it is engaged or not?? What's next, open up the transmission and look for broken parts inside?

Regards,
ahenchmen

Old 08-20-08, 07:20 PM
Well before you tear into the transmission, I would suggest removing the cable from the transmission and then see if you can move the lever then and determine if the cable is free or not. If the cable moves freely once it's off of the transmission and the lever will still not move, then maybe its time to dig a little deeper.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 08-20-08, 09:12 PM
I tried to check to check the transmission cable but it's acting like the wire cable is stuck inside the protective outside plastic tube. I say this because I did the following...

Disconnected the cable at the handle bar lever and tried to pull the plastic outside tube upward to see if it would move independent of the wire cable inside. Couldn't get it to move. Verified the other end of the plastic outside tub (near transmission lever arm) was free by rotating with needle noise plyers.

I left the situation by squirking some WD-40 and motor oil down the cable assy to see if it would reach the suspected binding point in the cable assy.

What do you think?

Old 08-20-08, 09:16 PM
I should add that I tried to disconnect the cable from the transmission arm but had no sucess since the lever does not want to move and there's no room (fingers/tools) to try and pull the end of the wire cable off the arm.

Old 08-20-08, 09:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you found the problem. Keep soaking it, maybe it will come loose. Chances are high that you'll need to replace the cable.

Old 08-21-08, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Hope this is the problem? I'll try flexing/working the cable to see if this might free the bind.

The cable with run about $20 or so (54520-VA3-801). If I can't get it working I may just cut the cable near the transmission arm and try to manual shift the transmission lever to see if the transmission works. If the transmission doesn't work then the mower is getting close to the breakeven point (time and money) of repair vs. parting it out.

Especially since I have a smoking engine too.

So if I were to cut the cable and shift the transmission manually, what should I expect? Is it a two position transmission (rabbit and turtle) when the ?safety handle bar? (Lever, Clutch - 54410-VA4-800) is engaged?

My plan would be to prop the back end of the mower off the ground, run the engine, then play with levers / handle bars and see what happens.

Any thoughts?

Old 08-22-08, 09:30 PM
Cheese and 30yearTech,

Putting oil in the transmission cable didn't loosen up the bind. I finally just cut the cable to the lever of the Honda transmission and now the lever moves very freely. The lever feels as if there are two positions (fast/slow) as well as a no / relaxed position.

So what does this tell me? The cable was seized, YES. But it seems to me the cable was seized in either the slow or fast (turtle or rabbit) position. If this is the case then the transmission would have worked in the beginning (stuck in fast or slow)?

What’s the next plan of attack? Pull out the transmission, open and inspect?

If the stuck cable was the original problem and the transmission was never able to disengage for …years…?? Any ideas on what might be the likely internal problem. Any thoughts on cost / time to repair?

Old 08-23-08, 01:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I'd wire the lever so that the transmission is in gear, crank it up, and see what hapens when you engage the drive wheels.

Old 08-23-08, 08:14 AM
So I use some string to tie down the handel to engage the transmission. Prop up the back end of mower with a 4x4 and start it up. I move the lever at the transmission with plyers pulling up on little bit of attached cut cable. No movement of the wheels at any position. At one time I thought the wheels tried to move very slowly and only while touching the wheel did I think I could feel soem very light jerking. Kind of like very worn gear teeth? Could have also just been the vibration of the engine running.

Looks like the problem is deeper inside? Any other suggestions? Is it time to disassemble the transmission? What should I look for or expect?

Old 08-23-08, 08:40 AM
Check the drive shaft where it attaches to the input shaft of the transmission, there is a pin that could be broken or missing, causing the drive shaft to just spin on the input shaft.

Are you sure the clutch cable is also not binding and pulling on the clutch lever?

Sounds like the clutch jaws inside the transmission may be the problem, this would require transmission disassembly.

Old 08-24-08, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm wondering if maybe the transmission axles are turning, just not engaging the wheels. Pull the wheels and see if the axles are turning. Maybe the clutches in the wheels are stuck and letting them freewheel.

Old 08-24-08, 10:42 AM
30yearTech,

I checked the drive shaft and all parts on the shaft are there. The pins are good and the internal shaft to the transmission is also spining.

I'm fairly sure the cable is good. Up at the handel bar I can see the cable pull out the sleeve by approx 3/4" of an inch. That's too much for cable stretch.

Old 08-24-08, 10:49 AM
cheese,

Good thing to check but I haven't tried it yet. I can tell you that will the mower off and the rear wheels off the ground, both wheels spin together when you rotate either one backwards. This tells me the linkage inside the transmission is good???

I think I've decided to retire this mower and break it down for parts. The engine still smokes and the transmission problems are still eluding me.

It's been fun and thanks to all for the troubleshooting help.

Search this Thread