Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tractor won't start unless jump started

08-21-08, 08:06 AM   #1  
tractor won't start unless jump started

I have a 7235 cub cadet diesel utility tractor. The tractor won't start unless it is jump started. I replaced the battery already. The lights won't even work. I have checked the ground to the frame and it seems fine. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

TX

08-21-08, 10:57 AM   #2  
Are you jumping to the battery?

If it works by jumping to the battery, then I would have your new battery load tested, I would suspect the battery is the problem. The place you purchased it from should be able to test it for you, generally for free.

GA

08-21-08, 06:52 PM   #3  
On lots of small engines, the negative output from the alternator is used to power the lights, and they won't come on unless the engine is running. You can see if your tractor is like this by turning on the lights when you have the jumper battery hooked up but the engine isn't running yet.

TX

08-21-08, 07:18 PM   #4  
Posted By: rogerflies On lots of small engines, the negative output from the alternator is used to power the lights, and they won't come on unless the engine is running. You can see if your tractor is like this by turning on the lights when you have the jumper battery hooked up but the engine isn't running yet.
I think you mean that many small engines have a "dual" circuit alternator, where the lights are run off alternating current thats produced by the alternator when the engine is running. This would not have anything to do with a non starting issue though, only with the lights not working.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-21-08, 10:14 PM   #5  
I would tend to think maybe the connection between the calbes and the battery is not being made. When you jump it from another battery, the jumper cables are probalby attatched to the outside lead clamps on the tractors battery cables. This would give the tractor power from your jumper cables, but still nothing from the battery if it isn't making connection at the clamps.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-22-08, 05:33 AM   #6  
I will give that a try shouldn't it at least run the flashers though even with a bad load test? I am getting 12 volts at the battery and starter. The flashers would run before with the key off now nothing at all.

TX

08-22-08, 06:20 AM   #7  
Well if there is somthing wrong with the cable connection to the battery then maybe not. If the battery has little to no amperage the lights may not operate. Test for voltage at the end of the cable where it attaches to the engine or solenoid and see if you get a reading there. Its gotta be a bad connection as cheese described or a bad battery IMO.

08-22-08, 08:14 AM   #8  
Getting 12 volts at the starter.

TX

08-22-08, 08:47 AM   #9  
Check your voltage when you try to crank the engine or when you turn on your lights and see if it drops off.

Search this Thread