Lay My Craftsman Eager-1 To Rest?

Old 08-21-08, 03:34 PM
Lay My Craftsman Eager-1 To Rest?

Craftsman Eager-1, 3.5hp, 20"-model# 917.383223

Running great all summer (after cheese helped me out with the fuel problem). The lawn was slightly wet and it was longer than it shouldve been, but the Queen Of The World had issued her decree. The M1 (Abrams) was struggling under the strain and several times I had to make it pop a wheelie so it would not stall. Almost done and then it did stall. With a distinct thunk. When I tried restarting it, all I got was the thunking. Kinda sounded like a car engine that had thrown a rod. (maybe not, been a long time since I was working on that 66 GTO 389) Turned it over, gave it a look. Nothing obviously out of place with the blade or the shaft, scraped the green glop out of the housing. Same noise and reluctance when I pulled, but it started and ran. When I shut it down, it made the same noise.

So Im guessing flywheel, flywheel key or bearing. None of which I want to do or can do myself (RIP if its the bearing). Could it be something less, ah, invasive, or do hear Taps playing?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-08, 03:55 PM
Could just be a loose blade, and believe me it does not take much for it to make a noise. There is a possibility that if the blade is loose, that the flywheel key may have also sheared.

Old 08-22-08, 07:12 AM
Remove the plug wire and tuck it away from the plug, Now get under the mower and slowly spin the blade by hand. Does the blade tip hit anywhere on a bent part of the deck? My wife LOVES to mow rocks and tree stumps and recently bent the internal ring under the deck into the spinning blade and locked it up. Took me 5 minutes of pounding with a hammer to reshape the metal ring that surrounds the blade so it didn't hit anywhere.

Old 08-29-08, 01:43 PM
Oh my! A week gone by already? Damn! Well, Checking the blade/deck clearance was the first thing I did. There was some mason's line wrapped tightly around the shaft above the blade, cut that away. Then I removed the blade and put it back on and snugged it down. But since I have the memory of a bag of rocks, I checked it after what 30yearTech said and by hand, it seemed tight. When I put a wrench to it to remove it, it might have been not quite as tight as it could've been. It was rough starting, but it did, no klunks but ran rough. I did the lawn without incident, stopped it a couple of times and it started again without protest. Hmmm. So, no sheared flywheel key, cracked flywheel, bad bearing. But like a human that had stroke symptoms that went away, I checked it in to the mower clinic for a full check up. It hasnt been released yet.