Toro GTS won't start

Old 08-29-08, 06:04 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro GTS won't start

The last time my Toro 6.5 HP self propelled mower ran, it sputtered then went kaput. The mod. no. is 20031 and serial no. 240088828. It's getting gas and spark to the plug, which is new, but motor just spins when I pull the rope. I've changed the gas twice and cleaned out the carb, which had specks on the bottom of the bowl. Machine was has been unreliable (stalling, stopping and starting issues) since I bought it in 2006. From all the complaints on the web about Toro's Guaranteed to Start mowers, a more appropriate slogan might be Guaranteed to Stop.

Old 08-29-08, 07:05 AM
Can you tell if your engine have any compression?

If you have compression, spark and fuel, then you might want to check the flywheel key. If the key is partially sheared it will spark at the wrong time and will be hard to start and not run good.

Old 08-29-08, 01:29 PM
S
Compression seems OK and shear pin is entact. I wondered if it was out of time. How do you check timing on the machine? Pretty sure it has electronic ignition.

Appreciate your help trying to get Tardy Toro up and running again.

Old 08-29-08, 03:21 PM
J
With toro warranty--why don't you contact place where you purchased unit ????????????

Old 08-29-08, 05:22 PM
The warranty on this model is 2 years, so depending on the month purchased the mower may just be out of warranty.

Will it start if you prime the engine?

You indicated that you cleaned the carburetor, what was the condition of the nozzle seals? If they are soft or leaking it could make the engine hard to start, or it may not start at all.

Old 09-01-08, 05:14 PM
S
my thumb is sore from pressing primer. where are the nozzle seals on the carb? I cleaned the jets with compressed air to no avail.

Old 09-01-08, 05:54 PM
The reason I ask if it will start with a prime, is to narrow down the possibility of where the actual problem lies. Try priming with an external source through the throat of the carburetor, or into the spark plug hole and see if it will fire off and run at least the prime.

You can see the O-Rings and Nozzle here.

http://www.imower.com/KMtec_carb.htm

Old 09-03-08, 07:29 AM
S
Motor shows no signs of life even after spraying starter fluid in spark plug hole. There was one small puff of smoke but no attempt to start. I'm going to put it away for now and probably make it a winter project.

Appreciate your help, e specially from 30 year Tech. BTW: Your webpage is pretty cool.

Old 09-03-08, 02:19 PM
I would be leaning towards a compression issue. Let us know when you decide to tackle it, perhaps we can come up with some other ideas for you.

Old 09-03-08, 02:40 PM
G
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
I would suggest replacing the nozzle seals, when installing the nozzle put a little oil on the seals so they don't bind, also, even though the key looks ok, I would remove the flywheel and replace the key and check that the flywheel keyslot is not distorted. I think the torque for the flywheel nut is 55lb. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-03-08, 09:57 PM
J
Originally Posted by sbro98
Motor shows no signs of life even after spraying starter fluid in spark plug hole. There was one small puff of smoke but no attempt to start. I'm going to put it away for now and probably make it a winter project.

Appreciate your help, e specially from 30 year Tech. BTW: Your webpage is pretty cool.

When you get to your winter workaround-eventho
you have spark--take out your solid state ignition & have it tested.
Have fun............................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: