Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

riding mower help

08-21-08, 06:07 PM   #1  
riding mower help

I have a yard machines riding mower. 14.5 hp, 42" cut. When I start it the engine sounds okay. And also when I put it in forward. But after i rasie the mower deck up from cutting, it sounds like something is grinding or rubbing somewhere.

I took the deck off today and cleaned it real good but could not find anything tell tale as far as rubbing goes.

Also, one time a little while back when getting grass off of the top of the mower deck I found a spring laying on the right side (when sitting on the tractor) of the deck, in the back. One hook end is broken off. I can not find out which spring it is. I hope that is the problem, but I don't see how.

I went to the MTD site and downloaded owner's manuals and the parts list but I can't find a spring listed that I can not find on my mower. They all appear to be where they should be.

Help!! I'm fine with buying a spring and putting it on but I don't know where it goes.

And if this is not causing the grinding sound when I disengage the cutting deck, what would?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links

FL

08-21-08, 06:45 PM   #2  
Posting the model number off your unit would be helpful (sticky above forum).

If I had to guess, I'd say the spindle blade brake pads are worn to the rivets causing the scraping noise.

They are located under the foot/running boards and contact the disc on top of the blade spindle pulley.

TX

08-21-08, 07:30 PM   #3  
As 31YTech advised, your Model and S/N number would be a most helpful aid in helping you troubleshoot your issue.

Adding to what 31YT advised, take a look at the front of the mower deck closest to the stack pulley that extends down from the engine, where the mower drive belt is attached. Its possible that the front of the mower deck may be coming in contact with this pulley. This could be caused if the spring that you found is one of the springs that pulls tension back on the deck, it may be allowing the deck to rub this pulley a little.

08-21-08, 09:54 PM   #4  
Thanks for the responses guys.

Mod# 13BM675G009
ser# 1A111B80275

With the mower running and the deck disengaged I looked to see if something was rubbing and the belt was not moving at all. I will check the pads specifically, but with the belt and pulleys not turning, do you think rules them out?

I'll check the front of the deck. I missed that when I had it off. I did find some rub marks on the front right of the deck (right side if sitting on the tractor) which look to be from the belt. I don't know when that happened. The belt looked to be in normal shape and did not appear to be rubbing on its "test drive" Thursday evening.

I really wish I knew where that spring came from. I looked for signs of where it might go, but couldn't find any wear marks.

I appreciate your help!

08-22-08, 11:59 AM   #5  
I checked the front of the mower deck and it looks okay. No marks from rubbing on the pulley.

I am at my wits end here. I really need to be able to cut my grass. I'm afraid if I use the tractor as is it will die on me. I'm moving soon and need to sell my house. I don't have money to buy another riding mower and don't need one. I am planning on leaving this one here when I move (I'll be in an apartment).

Any other suggestions/ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks!!

FL

08-22-08, 03:05 PM   #6  
I don't believe a spring is your problem, There are three shown on your unit that has to do with the raising/lowering and engagement of the deck. Two can be removed leaving the rear one for engagement and nothing would hit causing a grinding noise.

If the engine pulley is not hitting the deck as 30yearTech mentioned I would look at the blade spindle brakes again.

Remove both (two nuts each) FOR TESTING ONLY then see if the noise goes away. If it does re-install them then put a pry bar between them and the foot/running board and bend them downward a little to make better contact on the pulley disc.

I have seen these pads wear to a point they didn't make well enough contact causing a chatter/grinding noise.

08-26-08, 03:35 PM   #7  
So I didn't have the problem described right. I went out and tried removing the pads like 31ytech suggested and there was no difference. The pads are worn pretty good and I'll get new ones, but I noticed something while testing the mower.

The grinding sound happens when the mower is in drive and moving forward. I believe it happens all the time and I could not hear it with the mower deck going.

I confirmed the deck has nothing to do with it by turning on the tractor and just driving it forward with the deck disengaged. Still got the grinding sound. Since I could hear the sound AFTER I rasied the deck when I was done cutting the grass I assumed it was something to do with the mower deck. Also, when I start out, I out the mower in gear adn then lower the deck with the brake on, so I never heard the grinding BEFORE cutting the grass, as it only happens when the mower is moving.

I didn't see many palces to grease. The mower has oil in it. Please help! IS this a trasnmission problem?

IS there a Haynes book for riding mowers?

I have some DIY type mechanic experience but not with riding mowers.

What would this cost (rough estimate) to get done somewhere?

Is it something I could do in my garage with limited space, no lift, and in a relatively short time (couple days?)

Thanks for your input and help!

TX

08-26-08, 05:12 PM   #8  
The noise could be coming from an idler pulley on the drive belt.

Does it make the noise when the mower is in reverse?

Put the forward/reverse lever in the neutral position and let the clutch/brake pedal out and see if you hear the noise.

09-03-08, 05:37 PM   #9  
I was able to get the tractor out today and trouble shoot what you suggested 30yeartech.

The mower DOES make the sound in forward, in reverse, and in neutral with the brake off.

Would a wonky idler pulley do that in all of those circumstances?

This forum is a HUGE help! I wish this were my only headache so I could get this done faster, but I am really glad you guys are here to help those of us less experienced.

Thank you

TX

09-03-08, 06:07 PM   #10  
Yes, an idler pulley with a worn or bad bearing is going to be noisy anytime it's moving. When the clutch pedal is released, tension is applied to the belt and it begins moving and turning the idler pulley's. My bet is an idler that has a worn bearing and probably needs replacing.

09-04-08, 04:28 AM   #11  
Posted By: 30yearTech Yes, an idler pulley with a worn or bad bearing is going to be noisy anytime it's moving. When the clutch pedal is released, tension is applied to the belt and it begins moving and turning the idler pulley's. My bet is an idler that has a worn bearing and probably needs replacing.
Okay. Is this something fairly doable? Or based on time involved and expense is it just better to take it somewhere?

What happens if I cut the grass with it like that?

I'm just trying to figure out my options at this point.

TX

09-04-08, 05:24 AM   #12  
Depending on the location of the idler, they are generally not hard to replace. Just a bolt or nut and they come off.

If you use it like it is, it may last quite awhile this way or may fail after a short time. If it fails while in use, then the drive belt can be damaged or destroyed and then the belt will also have to be replaced.

Search this Thread