Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question TORO SR4 blade override problems

Hello,

i hit a stump with my toro mower Super recycler SR4 20056

when the blad is not engaged (blade overide) it makes an awefull racket

loud vibrations and squeeling when running

any ideas

it runs fine when blade is engaged - problem only occurs when on and blade is shut off

Old 08-22-08, 04:35 PM
Most likely the crankshaft is bent. When the blade is disengaged the clutch plate will move up and down very rapidly and causes the vibrations to be exaggerated.

To check this, remove your spark plug and tip the mower on its side with the air filter facing up. Slowly pull the rope and look at the blade to see if there is any up and down movement, it should remain perfectly still if the shaft is not bent. If there is movement then the crankshaft is bent and will need to be replaced.

Best of Luck...

Old 08-23-08, 11:47 AM
J
Question bent shaft

thanks,

i figured that is what it was based on searches

i will need to get a shop to do it for me

any idea how much i approximately i am looking at parts & labor?

Old 08-23-08, 12:29 PM
Well it really depends upon your geographic area, labor rates can vary widely.

A new crankshaft is about $50.00 and labor to install it should be about 1 1/2 hours labor, in my neck of the woods labor would run about $98.00 with miscellaneous parts like gaskets seals and oil total might be around $165.00.

Most any reputable repair facility or mechanic can give you a pretty close estimate for this type of repair. Just give them your model number and ask them how much to install a new crankshaft, its not an uncommon repair.

Old 08-24-08, 06:54 AM
P
I have this exact mower that I bought new. I've never hit a stump, but I still have a similar vibration while the blade is not engaged. No squealing, just more vibration that I'd expect.

I have run over various lawn debris, sticks and bones my dog has dug up. The original blade is pretty well banged up... But nothing that's stopped the mower dead.

How easy is it to bend the crank in one of these engines?

I'd also think that the blade clutch would take more damage and protect the engine. Was this assumption wrong?

Old 08-24-08, 09:32 AM
If you hit something big enough and just right you can bend a shaft. The blade clutch makes the mower easier to use as you don't need to stop and start the engine as much, but it won't prevent it from getting bent. With the added torque from the flyweight on the shaft it may be easier to bend the shaft, I don't know for sure. Its easy to check and see if your shaft is bent, so you might want to have a look and see, but if you have a vibration when the blade is not engaged, it will probably cause premature clutch bearing failure. If your mower is still under warranty and the shaft is not bent, you might want to have it checked out by an authorized Toro service dealer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: