MTD tractor w/ briggs engine..strange problem

Old 08-22-08, 09:05 AM
MTD tractor w/ briggs engine..strange problem

Heres the story. Bought a used MTD 14.5/42 tractor no run condition. MTD#136M670G336 Briggs number#287707-0224-01.
Carb that was on it was a Mikuni. Not the right carb for this. (thinking carb off a Honda). So lets get the correct carb for it.
Choices are Walbro or Nikki. Nikki is less $$. Order Nikki. Superseded to the Walbro. No problem. Install new carb, drained & cleaned gas tank, new gas filter & hoses. Go to start it, farts & sputters a bit, but no start. Remove plug, spray gas in hole, same thing. Sounds like maybe a timing problem. Pull off the flywheel and sure enough key is sheared. Unusual being belt driven blades. Lets try again. Yahooo!! it starts!!!!
Problem: no throttle control. engine runs at just above idle. Almost dies when engaging blades.
Re-examine control set-up. Cable moves correctly, smoothly, thru full range. Governor lever moves freely, but no movement to the throttle lever on carb.
Now after looking at the Mikuni that I took off, I found the problem. It appears that the new carb has the long end of the throttle lever (where the link rod goes) on the wrong side of the carb. From sitting on the tractor as you are driving it, The hole for the link is on the left side. The Mikuni was on the right side. I thought about removing the throttle shaft and turning it 180* , but that won't work as the other end has the tang for the throttle stop/idle adjustment. The Carb # I got is 791886. Ever run into this before? Any ideas? This tractor is sold as soon as I get it running properly.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-08, 05:14 PM
Thats is very confusing as the governor on the engine can only be made to work one way.

What is the code number off your engine?

Old 08-23-08, 01:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The hole should be on the engine side of the carb. If it's not, I'd say you have the wrong carb or are trying to connect it wrong. I thought you said the walbro was cheaper and what you were going with last time you posted about this? The nikki or the walbro should both connect the same way.

Old 08-23-08, 06:07 AM
30yr tech...code#96031620.

cheese...it ended up not matering which carb was less money as the Nikki has been superseded to use the Walbro.

The original Walbro carb# was 690194 superseded to 698620 ss to 791886. the 791886 is what I got. And the hole for the gov link is opposite side of engine.

Old 08-23-08, 08:00 AM
Is the governor spring hooked up to the governor arm behind the control plate that is bolted to the side of the engine?

It may not matter which side of the carburetor the hole for the linkage is on, as long as the shaft rotates in the proper direction to open the throttle plate. Check and make sure the governor spring is putting tension on the arm when the throttle is in the fast position.

Search this Thread