B&S 5hp will only start with starting fluid

Old 08-22-08, 09:54 AM
B&S 5hp will only start with starting fluid

Hi all,

I have a 5hp B&S on a pressure washer. It is model number 12F702-0758-01. I can get it to run with starter fluid sprayed directly into the spark plug hole until the fluid burns off. I can also spray into the carb and get the same effect. I have cleaned the carb and blown out with air compressor. replaced needle and seat as the seat was dry rotted. It still doesn't appear to be getting gas and I have taken this carb apart 3 times to make sure float isn't sticking and all jets are clear. Can't think of anything else, short of new carb.....thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-08, 01:30 PM
When you took the bowl nut off did you make its holes were clear..?

Old 08-22-08, 07:06 PM
No...I'll blow the crap out of them too

Old 08-23-08, 11:20 PM
I have got the same problem out of b&s 5hp mower. The bowl nut appears to be clean as I have used carb cleaner and a tooth pick thru horizontal holes and the vertical hole. What next?

Old 08-27-08, 01:30 PM
i have a Tecumseh 3.5 HP engine that did the exact same thing. To fix my problem i screwed the gas/air adustment screw closed then opened it about 3/4 of a turn and without a choke and it fired right up no problems. I would try this you may need to guess and check to get the right mixture though

Old 08-28-08, 01:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it runs on starting fluid, but that's it, then the carb needs cleaning or it's not getting fuel from the tank. Verify fuel flow to the carb, then remove it, clean in a bath type cleaner, clear all passages and blow through them to verify they are open, and reassemble with a kit.

Old 08-28-08, 10:20 AM
Cpeppy,

The bowl nut wasn't clear. I just cleared them and hopefully that will do the trick. Thanks to everyone who responded!!! I'll let you know if that was the problem.

Old 08-28-08, 12:10 PM
Accolades to Cpeppy. It runs!!! Thank you!!! The bowl nut was the problem!! Runs great!! Thanks to everyone!!

Old 09-03-08, 04:10 PM
thanks to everyone

removed and cleaned carb for third time and blew compressed air thru all ports and now it runs like a champ.