Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Toro Model 826 w/ B&S engine help please

08-22-08, 10:28 AM   #1  
Toro Model 826 w/ B&S engine help please

Hello Folks,

Can someone please help with this puzzle... This machine belongs to my neighbor and is in need of some T.L.C. It starts on full choke, but as soon as I open choke, it screams bloody murderous R.P.M. I have not even had time to even attempt the carb adjustments as the owners' manual says for I cannot even keep the machine running without full choke. My neighbor says the carb was adjusted when he replaced the guts inside... He also cleaned and painted every outer part that he could see... If anything the man has been tenacious and mule-headed about getting this machine running before winter 2008-2009. If I could just have some guidance as to the possible adjustments necessary to at least keep her running... then move on to properly adjusting the carb... The governor, something I do believe could be a problem, is also out of whack.. If I could have some idea as to not only what it's there for, but also how, if any, an adjustment can be made, and we know that it's been done right.
Any answers would be appreciated.... and if there are any questions from you, please do not hesitate to ask... The upcoming info should also be helpful... If someone could decifer these numbers, that would also be appreciated...

Thanx a bunch !!

B&S Model: 190402
Type: 0989-01
Code: 790907-12
Toro Model: 38150

P.S.

Also need help with adding the images I took of certain components so as to get a clearer view of what I speak of...
Can't seem to find a "URL" of my photos stored on a small thumb-drive... Thanx again a bunch !!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

08-22-08, 10:41 AM   #2  
You need to have your pics uploaded to an on-line storage like Photobucket in order to have a url you can insert.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

WI

08-22-08, 01:25 PM   #3  
There is a shaft going through the carburetor that has the wire throttle link going to it. Make sure it rotates. The throttle plate inside the carburetor is secured to that shaft so if it's stuck wide open it'll over rev as what you have.
If it does rotate then watch the direction it moves when you go to high speed. Then watch the governor arm's rotation. Loosen the clamp for the governor arm and rotate its shaft the same direction the arm moved as far as it will go. Tighten clamp.
You have an 8 HP engine built in 1979.

TX

08-22-08, 04:42 PM   #4  
Make sure the idle stop screw is not screwed all the way in. I think you may have a problem with the governor. Adjust it as described in the other post.

You may also want to open the bottom adjustment screw on your carburetor 1/4 to 1/2 turn and see if it will continue to run without choke, but you need to take care of the over speeding problem 1st as this can wreak havoc on this engine in short order!

08-25-08, 09:52 AM   #5  
Thanx for getting back to me...

Hello,,,

And thanx to you three for helping me... but maybe a little more help if you could... I am certainly going to try these procedures... I was also telling my neighbor about the possibility of maybe seeing some kind of backyard mechanic during my week-ends while travelling the countryside, who might have some old Toro lying around in a scrap heap... It was pure coincidence that I happened upon such a fellow just this week-end, who showed me just that when he started up a 16 H.P. B&S engine for me just to look at the rotation of that governor arm. I think I've got the jist ofm it all but I needed to tell you that some of the linkages I believe are missing,,, therefor I'm pretty much going blind as to any other small arms or springs needed in order to adjust properly... Still trying to get photos onto this thing to show exactly what I've got on my hands here!!!
If any of you guys would have a repair manual schematic of just those linkage parts and the operation of it, that would be awsome!!! I do believe I've exhausted all of my "could be's" ... the carburator,the choke and throttle operation and the mixture of air-fuel... HELP!!

Thanx again !!!

Watch for my photos soon

08-27-08, 03:10 PM   #6  
I think I'm back...w/ photos!!!

Hello,,,

And thanx to you three for helping me... but maybe a little more help if you could... I am certainly going to try these procedures... I was also telling my neighbor about the possibility of maybe seeing some kind of backyard mechanic during my week-ends while travelling the countryside, who might have some old Toro lying around in a scrap heap... It was pure coincidence that I happened upon such a fellow just this week-end, who showed me just that when he started up a 16 H.P. B&S engine for me just to look at the rotation of that governor arm. I think I've got the jist ofm it all but I needed to tell you that some of the linkages I believe are missing,,, therefor I'm pretty much going blind as to any other small arms or springs needed in order to adjust properly... Still trying to get photos onto this thing to show exactly what I've got on my hands here!!!
If any of you guys would have a repair manual schematic of just those linkage parts and the operation of it, that would be awsome!!! I do believe I've exhausted all of my "could be's" ... the carburator,the choke and throttle operation and the mixture of air-fuel... HELP!!

Thanx again !!!

Watch for my photos soon

Yessssss!!! I think I got it!!! Try this guys please...and thank you

http://s371.photobucket.com/albums/o...roexprtithink/

Last edited by Toroexprtithink; 08-27-08 at 03:21 PM. Reason: adding photos

12-09-08, 04:22 PM   #7  
Not much, but...

I am having very similar problems with my 38150, 826 Toro Snowthrower. I can only run it with full choke and full throttle. I found a link online that says, (SN 7000001-7999999) are made in 1987. Not much info there but at least something. My uncle is a mechanic and we will be looking at the machine this week. If I come up with anything that I think may help you I will pass that info on. Good luck.

NH

12-09-08, 04:45 PM   #8  
You can go to Toro.com , click on parts for homeowners, then type in your model number. It helps to have your serial number,too, as they used the same model numbers for a few years. Then click on the section you want to see the parts of.

MA

12-09-08, 08:26 PM   #9  
When your neighbor reassembled the carb if the main nozzle was insatlled and did not "seat" into the top half of the carb this will cause the wide open throttle. Remove carb, you do not have to diasassemble just look down into the throat and see if the nozzle is seated into the body of the carb. If you can see end of nozzle, you must disassemble and correct.

TN

12-10-08, 06:46 AM   #10  
Posted By: smallengineguy When your neighbor reassembled the carb if the main nozzle was insatlled and did not "seat" into the top half of the carb this will cause the wide open throttle. Remove carb, you do not have to diasassemble just look down into the throat and see if the nozzle is seated into the body of the carb. If you can see end of nozzle, you must disassemble and correct.
smallengineguy,

I am not sure you are aware but there are actually two separate equipment posts made by different people on this thread. Your current post seems to apply to the original post that has not been active since 08-27-08.

People tagging onto old posts can create a lot of confusion and wasted effort for us attempting to help.

TN

12-10-08, 06:48 AM   #11  
Posted By: benc2001 I am having very similar problems with my 38150, 826 Toro Snowthrower. I can only run it with full choke and full throttle. I found a link online that says, (SN 7000001-7999999) are made in 1987. Not much info there but at least something. My uncle is a mechanic and we will be looking at the machine this week. If I come up with anything that I think may help you I will pass that info on. Good luck.
Benc20001,
Posting your problem to an existing thread, which has not been active since 08-27-08 cause’s confusion. In the future please start a new thread.

Not knowing make, model, etc. of the engine installed on your snow blower I will guess your problem is a dirty carburetor with blocked idle fuel passages. You will need to thoroughly clean the carburetor. This should entail total disassembly, including removing welch plugs to clean passages under them.

If you engine is a Briggs and Stratton this link may help:
What are the procedures to follow when overhauling the carburetor?

MA

12-10-08, 07:29 AM   #12  
Thanks Airman, took 1 too many stupid pills yesterday !!

TN

12-10-08, 09:14 AM   #13  
It has nothing to do with stupid. These new posts into old threads lead to nothing but confusion. It is natural to go back to the first post and read to the latest. Sometimes it is easy to miss the change to a new post by an individual with a similar problem. If I can catch these posts before they are answered I move them to a stand alone post.

Keep posting smallengineguy your input is appreciated.

Airman

Search this Thread