Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh OHH65 Gov Rod

08-22-08, 11:53 AM   #1  
Tecumseh OHH65 Gov Rod

Hey all!

I finally have my engine running (YIPPE)! How much play in the governor rod itself should there be? Not left - right but in and out? I'm having a hard time trying to get it to idle smooth and she's leaking a drop of oil every 10-15 secs unless you pull on the rod or push in when it's running. I'm thinking I need a new set-up. Any ideas? How about some of that packing string? Thanx in advance...

PS: The clip that is on the shaft between the engine housing or cover and the gov lever itself, can you slide it on the rod or does the rod have an indent for it pre-set?

Sponsored Links

TX

08-22-08, 04:55 PM   #2  
There is a specific area on the governor shaft for the clip to attach in, so you can't move it. The bushing on your engne for the shaft may be replaceable, I am not sure. There also might be a seal or washer that goes behind the clip. If you can post the spec number off your engine I can look and see whats supposed to be there.

Here is a link to download a service manual that covers your engine, perhaps it will shed some light on your particular issue.

http://www.cpdonline.com/695244a.pdf

Best of Luck...

08-23-08, 07:21 AM   #3  
Ok Tech. Here is all the info on the tag:

OHH65-71707B E
Engine Family- YTPXS1951AB
Displacement-195
DOM-1346 K

I'm certain I need a new gov assembly from further reading. Seems to be a common problem and may have been caused by running 10W-30 instead of SAE 30. If there is a way to doctor it for now, I'm all ears. If not, I will wait and do a High Performance rebuild if this engine is worth doing it to. Awaiting your reply. Thanx again in advance...

TX

08-23-08, 07:51 AM   #4  
Well looking at the parts breakdown on your engine, it does not show a bushing for the governor shaft. In and out play should not cause any real problem as long as the governor is maintaining engine speed. Switching to 30 wt oil may slow down the oil from leaking around the shaft.

Does the engine use much oil when running?

08-23-08, 02:17 PM   #5  
Posted By: 30yearTech Well looking at the parts breakdown on your engine, it does not show a bushing for the governor shaft. In and out play should not cause any real problem as long as the governor is maintaining engine speed. Switching to 30 wt oil may slow down the oil from leaking around the shaft.

Does the engine use much oil when running?
Tech, I don't know yet about how much oil it uses. It wasn't running when I bought it. I just got her going again. Put a new carb on and the rest of the parts. Soon as my brake caliper and belt come in, we'll take her for a test run. As far as the oil goes, it calls for straight 30. Just seems to be alot of play in that rod.
I can only get it close to a happy medium so far without a tach. How the hell do you hook up a tach to these anyway? I read about a vibration tach. Are they any good? Please advise and thanx for your help.

TX

08-23-08, 05:49 PM   #6  
The vibra tachs work very well. There are also inductive pickup digital tachs for these engines as well. Search on "Tiny Tach" some of these monitor run time and tell you when it's time to change the oil as well as allow you to monitor operating rpms.

08-27-08, 08:14 AM   #7  
Posted By: 30yearTech The vibra tachs work very well. There are also inductive pickup digital tachs for these engines as well. Search on "Tiny Tach" some of these monitor run time and tell you when it's time to change the oil as well as allow you to monitor operating rpms.
Thanx again Tech! Got her going pretty good. Wish I bought the carb with the manual choke instead of the primer bulb but you'll have that. I'll live with the oil leak for now...

Search this Thread