JD 185/FC540v OHV

Old 05-15-12, 06:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
JD 185/FC540v OHV

I guess being out of the OPE repair for a couple of years, but still having loyal customers, I have ran into some new snags.

Been busy with some other mechanical work last year or so....

Just FYI for my inactive periods of posting.

Now for the deere:

I have serviced it for a few years now, and has been a great 20+...??? year old rig.
It has developed a metalic clatter now. Still has power, starts and runs fine. I don't see any evidence of anything being hit or dented. Initially I thought loose valve seat, but had forgot it was an overhead valve engine. Not that it still couldn't be, but have not been into one of these yet, least not that I recall.
Since my time here is limited now just thought I would probe some minds and get some heads up...this place is great if you know how to use it

It doesn't sound tinny, and it is consistent. Doesn't sound heavy either like it is immediately detrimental.

Plan on getting the valve cover off and then the head if nothing found....just wanted to say ello and poke some knowledgeable minds Any time saved me I get to pass on

Thx
Az

Old 05-15-12, 09:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hi Az!

I'd be looking at the valve lash from the sound of it. Other than that, I don't know. Those are some tough old mowers and engines. Some of the best.

Looks like some interesting projects to be working on. I used to work on a 36' Hatteras boat in exchange for deep sea fishing trips, lol.

Old 05-16-12, 06:02 PM
Hey BFHFixit,

Just a thought, I had a FC540 come in a few years back. Customer said it started making a rattle sound then stopped the rattle on it's own, When he shut it down and tried to re-start it wouldn't.

I found the starter wouldn't roll it over compression stroke, A quick look at the valves while rotating by hand reveled the compression release wasn't functioning.

I found the spring had broken and pieces of the lever in the sump, My guess is the spring broke and let the lever swing out hitting the block until it jammed and broke off. A new cam install solved all issue.

Sweet toys your get'n to work on there !

My boss owns a ex military trainer, 1967 Hughes 269A with a Lycoming HIO-360 SER and his wife owns a Kitfox Rotax powered tail dragger in which I've had the pleasure to spin wrenchs on.....

I don't have any pics of the tail dragger handy but have this one;

More pics and info; Aircraft N7057L, 1967 Hughes 269A C/N 1281052

I built this from scratch (no plans) so he could move it in and out his hanger;

Sorry, I get carried away sometimes when other wrench spin'n topics come up....

Good Luck

Old 05-17-12, 09:18 PM
Thanks cheese,
I can only imagine what those fishing trips entailed, but sure a nice trade off no doubt.

Old 05-17-12, 09:33 PM
Tech,
That is a sweet looking dolley. Would love to tour your facility sometime...and your treehouse
The Kitfox has always been a dream of mine. I have followed it since it came out in the 80's. Fold the wings and trailer it home, no hangar fees. Great lil plane even the two stroke early Rotax. The 912s seems to be great.
I have the same but about wrenching, as long as it doesn't include 4 wheels and street legal :P

Alas JB's Fixit seems destined for another to fade into the sunset. I am loosing my home and thus my shop. Not even sure I can dig into this JD but will find some one to refer him to.

Old 05-18-12, 12:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Oh man, I feel for ya. Sorry to hear it and I hope it turns around for you soon.

Old 05-18-12, 03:49 PM
I have to agree with Mr. Cheese, So sorry to hear of your misfortune.... May you be strong and get back on your feet soon.

Good Luck My Friend....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: