dana D4360-140 trans

Old 08-23-08, 05:47 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question dana D4360-140 trans

I have a dana D4360-140 trans in my craftsman mower. It is hard to shift up or down. I removed it and check all gears and find them to be fine. I did find some rust on the clutch keys and the shaft that they are on. I have cleaned it and it still is hard to push through the gears. could I have them on wrong. the diagram shows the flat side going on toward the end where the brake goes and the side with the indents going toward the shift lever side. any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-23-08, 06:45 AM
A
The number one thing I see with Dana transaxles is damage caused by water ingestion. These transaxles have had a problem with water getting in. Did you find any muddy looking grease? Usually that is a sign of water ingestion. Inspect every thing for corrosion and clean it up.

Inspect detent ball, input shaft and gear for corrosion, burrs, and roughness same for the keys and the groove they ride in. Inspect shaft bearings for wear.

The IPL is clear for key installation and sounds like they are installed correctly.

I suspect sometimes hard shifting is a result of wear in several places. I have had some I just could not get to shift smoothly. I do not know of any specifications to measure anything for wear.

Good luck

Old 08-23-08, 07:01 AM
S
Thanks airman, I think you are right it is probably not going to shift smoothly anymore. It did have rust and I cleaned it up as good as possible. It works good other than the hard shifting. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-23-08, 09:29 AM
Have you removed the shifter shaft from the top case half ?

This is where I've found most hard shifting problems with these transaxles. The shaft rust inside the case, A good cleaning of the shaft and some grease normally solves the problem.

Good Luck

Old 08-24-08, 12:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I agree, the shifter shaft is one main culprit. Another thing is to look at, clean or replace the detent balls. I've seen them get flat spots and rust pits, which don't allow them to roll or slide easily and sometimes even catches in the sockets, making shifting very difficult.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: