blowing fuses

Old 08-23-08, 09:34 AM
blowing fuses

I have a 25 hp Briggs & Stratton engine on a Craftsman lawn tractor. As soon as I turn on the key, the 20 amp fuse in the circuit between the solenoid and the regulator blows immediately. Yesterday, I could turn the key and the engine would start but the fuse would blow immediately after letting go of the key. Any ideas as to the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-08, 10:13 AM
Possible bad regulator, try unplugging the regulator and see if the fuse still blows. There may be a pinched or grounded wire somewhere, I have run across this issue a few times on Sears riders where a wire gets pinched by the deck height adjustment lever.

Model number off your Rider would be a BIG help, so we can know what unit you have and better help you out.

Old 08-23-08, 10:37 AM
Tractor Model # is 917.272261. B&S engine model 445777 type 0154-E1. I unplugged the regulator and the engine turned over with no blown fuse. Bad regulator?

Old 08-23-08, 12:54 PM
Most likely, there are a series of diodes in regulators and if one fails then power can reach the alternator coils, this results in a dead short and thats why the fuse blows.

If you have a multimeter you can do a basic test of your charging system. You should have 2 yellow wires that plug into 2 black wires from the alternator and 1 red wire coming out of the regulator that plugs into your wiring harness. The black/yellow wires are A/C voltage and the red wire is DC voltage.

Unplug all the connections at the regulator. With the engine running at approximately 3600 RPM, test the AC voltage at the black wires (should be 20 - 30 volts AC) Plug the AC connector back into the regulator and test for DC voltage at the read wire, should be around 13 - 14 volts

Best of Luck...

Old 08-23-08, 01:12 PM
Thanks alot 30year...
I will check it all tonight.