Briggs and Stratton Engine runs for a few seconds then shuts off

Old 08-23-08, 03:02 PM
Question Briggs and Stratton Engine runs for a few seconds then shuts off

I have a 7 horsepower briggs and stratton engine that is a vangurad throtleless engine like this one

I recently replaced the piston rings in the engine and the crankshaft and camshaft are properly timed. I also replaced the spark plug, I have a hard time starting it with having to pull the rope 3 - 6 times for it to start. It only took one pull and it would start right up with no trouble at all be fore I worked on it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-08, 06:17 PM
Well, I gotta ask the obvious question.

Why did you work on it???

I would recheck the valve lash, plug gap and ignition module air gap. Also is your fuel fresh??

Old 08-23-08, 06:39 PM
As 30yearTech asked what was wrong, on a wild guess I would say someone hit something and bent the crank. I think what you will find is that the flywheel is cracked and is not seating properly(the timing is off). Try torquing the flywheel to the 55lbs and then do it again in an hour and then again tomorrow, if the torque reading doesn't stay the same it is cracked. Have a good one. Geo

Old 08-23-08, 06:54 PM
After reading your initial post again, I have another question.

Is your engine just hard to start, but runs alright once started??

Or

Does it start and die, just not continue to run?

If it's the latter, then you may have a carburetor issue, or a loose or leaking gasket between the carburetor and intake manifold.

Old 08-24-08, 12:01 AM
I worked on it because it was blowing white smoke out of the exaust with less than full or full but over full of oil and I have adjusted the air gap between the magneto and the flywheel 6 times and doing that changes the way it runs but I can't seem to get it to run properly. I currently have the air gap set at .020 and have replaced the piston rings and the gaskets including the head gasket. If the crankshaft is indeed bent how can I check to see if it is bent or not?

Old 08-24-08, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The air gap should be .010".

I'd check the flywheel key for one. Also, are you running it with a blade installed? Does the engine try to kick back ever when you try to start it? Is the air filter oily?