B&S 5HP Replacement/Repower

Old 08-23-08, 04:16 PM
B&S 5HP Replacement/Repower

Greetings from a first time poster. I'm a backyard automotive mechanic and have rebuilt several modern car engines. That should establish my baseline experience with regards to mechanical aptitude.

Anyhow, I have an MTD Chipper with the following Briggs engine:

Model: 135212
Code: 0140-01
Date/MFG: 960904YD (OR "O")

It's a 5HP Horizontal shaft with a pulse-jet type carb and a 7/8ths tapered shaft, which according to searches is proprietary to MTD equipment.

I bought it used, rebuilt the carb, changed the oil with fresh 30 weight same what came with my new Toro mower, and had it running like a top.

I put a good seven or eight hard hours on the engine (Over a period of days...), grinding up three inch branches and all manner of shrubbery. I checked the oil at every refueling and intended to change the oil again at 10 hours.

All of a sudden, the engine started slowing down despite being at WOT and I had just filled the tank... I shut off the throttle and ignition and pulled the branches out.

Blueish smoke came from the exhaust and it backfired and it spun down...

The air cooling fins are all white, the oil smelled burnt, and the engine is very hard to rotate by hand (Trying to turn the flywheel with a crow bar works. Pull start does not.)

I've pulled the head and crankcase cover, taking pics as I tore down the engine. (I can't post them directly here, so I'll have to load the on PhotoBucket or something later.) It doesn't look like the piston seized up as I can still see the crosshatch pattern clearly in the cylinder bore.

It looks as though I've either lost the rod bearing or the crank bearing on the flywheel side. I'm leaning toward the main crank bearing. When I tipped the unit to that side to remove the blade from the crankshaft PTO side of the engine, all the oil poured out from that end of the engine around the crankshaft seal.

According to the code on the engine and the lack of any sort of sleeve or ball bearing on the crankcase cover, this engine has conventional fluid bearings. I'll need a crank and/or block as I don't see any sort of removable bearing that I can replace.

Please correct me if I'm wrong..

At this point, I'm looking at replacements.

I can either get a 6.5 HP Intek OHV engine or I can get an 8 HP L-head engine (Unknown age, sold as new by internet vendor.)

Have all the L-Heads been discontinued or will they all soon be discontinued due to EPA regulation? I think the 8HP would be my best bet because I work this machine hard, but I'm unsure as to

BTW, this is an excerpt of my experience with Briggs that I posted on another automotive forum:
I called Briggs and Stratton myself to order a shortblock or full on engine to replace mine, as it might not be worth the effort. They would not sell me one and referred me to a dealer. They promptly hung up.

I inquired with my local mower shop if they could place the order. The guy at my mower shop is very helpful and tried the best he could. He got a response from Briggs and called me right back.

Briggs and Stratton will not sell a bare engine like this. They do not list any engine meeting my description or model number.

As it turns out, many people use this kind of engine on makeshift Go-Karts. Apparently some kid wrecked his or it set him on fire and he got injured. Someone sued Briggs and this is the outcome...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-08, 06:14 PM
Well you can still purchase horizontal shaft engines, from many dealers and websites online. A specific replacement engine for your chipper may not be directly available due to the type of crankshaft needed. An 8 hp engine is a different size block and may not fit your specific application, and again you would have to have the correct type of crankshaft in order to mount the impeller.

There is a replaceable bushing for your engine block, but if the crankshaft is damaged, it shows to be no longer available. You may just be out of luck, unless you can locate a similar shredder that you can get some parts from.

Old 08-24-08, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
Well you can still purchase horizontal shaft engines, from many dealers and websites online. A specific replacement engine for your chipper may not be directly available due to the type of crankshaft needed. An 8 hp engine is a different size block and may not fit your specific application, and again you would have to have the correct type of crankshaft in order to mount the impeller.
Right. I've found a few B&S engines and one or two Tecumseh engines by searching for MTD Tapered Shaft on Google.

On the face of my existing engine, there is a square bolt pattern surrounding the crankshaft. The square pattern is 2.5 inches on the sides. On the blade housing, there is the 2.5 inch square pattern and also a 3.5 inch pattern. There are also four other unused holes on the base to mount a different sized engine.

I can always drill holes as needed. The main constraints are that the base to the center of the crank is approx 4 inches and the crank has that 7/8ths inch tip that's tapered (And threaded down the center)... And that there's enough clearance to the left of the crank (as facing the PTO end) to clear the branch chute.

The supplier I've linked to has dimensional drawings of the engines, unlike Northern Tool and the like... The following engines appear to fit.

This one says it's a 7HP, but I've seen it elsewhere advertised as a 6.5 or even a 5.5 HP, same engine though. It's a B&S OHV Intek and seems pretty recent in production.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...PN=121312-0322

Tecumseh 6.5
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...3+Qt+Fuel+Tank

Then there's this one, the 8HP L-Head... The styling on it just looks older. I mean, it looks like it's an unused engine, but I haven't seen a Briggs with the little logo for the "Magnetron" Electronic Ignition on the center of the recoil starter housing like that for a while. Like not having points is something special. Though the ball bearings make me think this is a heavier duty engine that will put up with more abuse. But I want to know that I'll still be able to get repair parts for this a few years down the road if/when it fails. No point in buying something that's gone out of production already.
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...or+MTD+chipper

There is a replaceable bushing for your engine block, but if the crankshaft is damaged, it shows to be no longer available. You may just be out of luck, unless you can locate a similar shredder that you can get some parts from.
Hmmm... Maybe I'll pull it apart a little more and see what I can do.

Last edited by Pele2048; 08-24-08 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-24-08, 09:54 AM
The newer Intek Briggs engines will most likely have parts available longer down the road then the L-Head engines, most of which are no longer in production or soon to be retired.

Old 08-24-08, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
The newer Intek Briggs engines will most likely have parts available longer down the road then the L-Head engines, most of which are no longer in production or soon to be retired.
Cool...

There's also a guy locally selling an Industrial Plus type engine,

Model: 196432
Type: 0223

That also appears to be an L-Head engine though.

If I can't get it for a steal though, I'll got for the Intek.

Here's what I really want to know:

This chipper is meant to chip 3 inch branches. When it's not chipping branches, it'll be off... Needless to say, the engine's gonna be running at full throttle, high load at any time it's on, so it should be designed to take abuse.

What should I be looking for?

High HP?
Ball Bearings?
Larger oil capacity?

What will make this more mechanically durable?

Last edited by Pele2048; 08-24-08 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-24-08, 11:23 AM
Ball bearings, higer HP. Oil capacity won't make much difference, but frequent oil changes may.

Old 08-30-08, 10:46 AM
In the end, I got the local guy's engine.

He ran a shop and had access to B&S documentation as well as drawings of my particular MTD chipper. He also seemed pretty experienced with these engines.

It's new out of the box, an "Industrial Plus" model. 8HP with ball bearings.

I think this is a better choice because of the ball bearings and the higher horsepower rating. Especially with the loading of chipping 3" branches and that heavy flywheel spinning around on the end of the shaft.

Also, because he's a shop and the engine is new out of the box, he'll provide a receipt as well as warranty documentation and check with the regional distributor to be sure that it's warranty is covered. So I've got two years of warranty on it same as if I had gone out and gotten an Intek.

Old 08-30-08, 11:08 AM
Thats good! I am sure you will enjoy the added power, it may take you less time to accomplish your task.