Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Huskee 42 multiple problems

08-23-08, 07:31 PM   #1  
Huskee 42 multiple problems

hello all. I was just given a huskee 42 inch with a briggs 18.5 I/C engine 7 speed, 2 spark plugs. I dont have a clue where any numbers are on this thing. Anyway, apparently the last owner was using it and said it just died right in the middle of mowing. now, two things. The rear wheels wont roll. If I jack it up they spin freely. each one a different way. On the ground, they wont roll. Second problem is engine wont turn over. I can spin it by hand around and around, but not easily,but the starter cant spin it more than an inch or so. When I spin it it sounds like bad bearings or something,not grinding but noisy. Pulled out one spark plug and makes no difference. Any idea what to check? Thanks for any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-23-08, 11:48 PM   #2  
Hello Tae,

The brake on those is notorious for sticking. It is on the side of the transmission. Find the rod that goes through the brake lever on the tranny and push the brake lever back to disengage it, then spray the area with lube to help keep it from happening again.

The engine turning issue sounds like it could be a bad starter drive gear jammed into the ring gear on the flywheel. Take a look at that area and see what you find.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-24-08, 09:54 AM   #3  
Hi Cheese. Your brake idea was right on. I was able to find the rod as it was the only rod attached to a spring that did nothing no matter what lever I moved. jacked it up and tapped the brake with a hammer and it released. Wheels then spun independant of each other and when lowered rolled just fine! WD40 all over. of course then I had to whack the starter a couple times, and actually got it to turn over about 4 times before it bound up. Looks like I will have to take off the side panels to do anything to the motor. I guess start with pulling the starter? Thanks!!!

08-24-08, 10:43 AM   #4  
New question:
Should the starter gear always be on/engaged/turning with the flywheel?

TX

08-24-08, 11:13 AM   #5  
No, the starter gear should drop back down once the engine is running. Check the ignition switch, it may be sticking in the start position. A little lube sprayed down into it where the key goes may help if its sticking.

Best of Luck...

PA

08-24-08, 11:14 AM   #6  
Posted By: tae New question:
Should the starter gear always be on/engaged/turning with the flywheel?
Nope, the starter gear extends out when energized during starting and should retract as soon as you let the key spring back to the run position, just like a car.

08-24-08, 11:41 AM   #7  
Thanks for that confirmation everyone! Once I got the shroud off, and cleaned out the mud dobbers nests and gave it a little lube it drops back down like it's supposed to. Also found out that the battery,even with a 50 amp charger help, was just to weak. Took my car battery (very small for very small car) and jumped off it and now have new problem. With either plug out it spins just fine,,nice smooth and around and around. But with both plugs in it spins around once,then bogs down,then spins around once,then bogs down. plugs wet but smelled like varnish. Probably bad gas? Didn't think it had sat for that long, but unsure. I also cannot get the air cleaner off. One bolt on top that turns but goes nowhere. doesn't come loose at all. Thanks for the help so far, I feel I'm getting closer all the time!

08-24-08, 12:47 PM   #8  
Ok, New update. just found out this thing will run with just one plug. Doesn't matter which side. Still has exhaust out the muffler, but lots of air out the open cylinder. So, now I know it runs, just got to figure out how to do it with 2 plugs in. It's a briggs 42A707 model
1238 01 type
9608055A code

TX

08-24-08, 01:41 PM   #9  
Do you mean you can only get it to crank over if one of the plugs is removed from the engine??

08-24-08, 01:56 PM   #10  
Yes. It will turn over and even start and run with just one plug (either side it makes no difference) but with both plugs in, it turns over once then bogs down,then spins again then bogs down, very slow like not enough juice.

TX

08-24-08, 02:09 PM   #11  
Well you may have a bad starter, but I would check all the connections to make sure they are good, clean and tight, especially the ground cable from the battery. If it grounds to the tractor frame and not the engine, then check the engine mounting bolts.

Its not a good idea to "hit" the starter to get it to move. These starters have magnets in them that are bonded to the housing, hitting them can cause the magnets to fracture and fall off. I am not saying this is your problem, but it may be time to remove the starter and have a look inside, could also be corrosion on the armature binding on the bushings.

08-24-08, 03:10 PM   #12  
Well all the connections look good. Can I assume that since it will start and run with 1 plug in on either side that compression/valves are not the problem? Everything else works,blades engage,forward and reverse work when running. maybe it is just a weak starter?

TX

08-24-08, 03:35 PM   #13  
Yes, pretty much. I think the compression of both cylinders may just be a little too much for your starter to over come in its current condition. I doubt that it has anything to do with the valves on your particular model of engine.

08-24-08, 05:32 PM   #14  
All right. I will order one. Thanks for all your help tech!

PA

08-25-08, 06:48 AM   #15  
Please let us know how you make out.

09-04-08, 08:15 PM   #16  
Hi everyone. Got my new starter, bolted it on, and it cranked right over and fired right up with 2 new plugs. Had a good time mowing the yard!! Thanks for the help!!! Well, not as fun as with my heckendorn, but still fun enough!

Search this Thread