Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs 14.5 bogs and stops

08-23-08, 08:38 PM   #1  
Briggs 14.5 bogs and stops

The 14.5 HP Briggs engine on my riding mower has gotten progressively worse over the past months. 287707 - 1272E1 Initially it exhibited a condition where it wouldn't restart if I stopped it for refueling or whatever; I'd have to wait 30 - 40 minutes before it would restart. That may have nothing to do with my current problem.

Recently it has stopped a couple of times for no apparent reason while mowing, but would restart after some time elapsed and I could then finish mowing. Then, finally last week, it stopped for no apparent reason and now only runs 10 - 15 seconds when I restart it. It has also backfired a couple of times recently, with a quick flash of orange flame out the exhaust. It has a new spark plug and green foam pre-filter. What's the major usual suspects for this problem? I don't have a means of transporting the mower to a shop.

How does the choke function on this model? Reason I'm asking is that I noticed the choke doesn't release when I pull back the throttle. When pushing the throttle all the way forward, the lever hits the choke actuator and the choke closes, but there's no spring or linkage to open the choke back up when I pull back the throttle. Is that because there's some automatic function that does that? This also may have nothing to do with my current problem -- I just noticed this when looking closely at the carb and linkage assembly. (Or has a spring fallen off?)

I haven't disassembled the carb yet for a rebuild and gaskets, in hopes there may be something more simple causing this. Thanks for any advice/direction!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-23-08, 11:44 PM   #2  
That's a common problem on those engines. Remove the air intake between the carb and filter housing. There, you can see the choke shaft. Pull the choke valve out with a pair of pliers, then the shaft will lift out. There is a spring at the top that is supposed to return the choke to the off position when it's not sticking like yours is.

Take a razor blade and scrape the sides of the black plastic choke shaft, removing fine shavings until the shaft fits and turns freely in the carb, then reassemble, making sure to get the spring in the proper position to return the choke to the off position. Put it back together with a new spark plug and it should run good again.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-24-08, 01:24 PM   #3  
Thanks, Cheese. Your advice took care of the hanging-choke problem. Makes you wonder why they'd make the shaft plastic to begin with.

But the mower still would only run for 10 seconds after correcting the choke. I had disconnected the fuel line earlier and verified plenty of fuel running through the fuel filter, and therefore had not replaced it. But it seemed to be starved for fuel so I poured a small amount into the carb. The engine would start right up and run about 10 seconds, til the fuel was all consumed. I then bypassed the fuel filter and cranked her up, and she ran flawlessly! Again, I put the fuel filter inline and plenty of fuel ran thru it, but it ran again about 10 seconds. Alas, a new fuel filter is now installed and the engine runs beautifully. I guess just enough fuel was seeping thru to allow engine to start but then not run for any length of time. Lesson learned: Old fuel filter might pass plenty of fuel when you disconnect the hose, but that doesn't mean it's any good.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-25-08, 11:43 AM   #4  
Great, glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread