John Deere Tractor

Old 08-24-08, 09:35 AM
John Deere Tractor will not go into gear

I have a John Deere tractor model CV1259 that will not go into gear, it will go into reverse any suggestions as to how to fix?
Thank You.

Last edited by electric; 08-24-08 at 11:37 AM. Reason: change heading
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-08, 06:02 AM
I think your model number is incorrect. Look again and also a number for the transaxle.

Old 08-26-08, 12:57 PM
John Deere Tractor

Sorry about that Airman, here is the correct Model STX30
Serial *MOOSTXA101259.
Thank You

Old 08-26-08, 03:25 PM
I haven't forgot you I will put together some information tonight or in the morning and post back.

Until then, check everything external, i.e. shift linkage, pulley, etc.

Do you plan to remove the transaxle and repair it?

Old 08-26-08, 05:17 PM
Will the transmission not shift into any of the forward gears, or just not move when shifted??

Old 09-06-08, 05:35 AM
30yearTech and Airman, the shift lever moves into it postions but it does not feel like it engages and the tractor will not move forward. I have checked the linkage and pulleys and they look to be ok, any tips would be appericated.
As far as removing the transaxle, how big of a job is it and what might be wrong with it and cost?
Thank You

Old 09-06-08, 07:52 AM
Here is a link for the Peerless 920-017 Transaxle parts list and service manual:
http://www.odref.com/peerless/920-SE...20-920-017.PDF

http://www.cpdonline.com/691218.pdf

I do not think a replacement transaxle is available for the 920-017. A JD dealer can answer that.

As far as cost, it is hard to say since shop hourly rates vary between locations. Low end hourly is $40.00 and high end maybe $70.00.

It is difficult to guess what the cause of the problem is but my guess is shift keys or shift fork, maybe $30.00 to $60.00 in parts and 3 to 4 hours labor for the experienced. Other than parts you will need (1) bentonite grease PN 788067B and some extreme pressure (EP) grease.

If you have jacks or hoist and a place to work, removing the transaxle is not that big of a job. If you have mechanical skills opening, cleaning, inspecting and repairing the transaxle is not that hard but it is a challenge the first time. Cleaning out all the old bentonite grease is the hardest part.

If you intend to do the job post back and I will offer a couple of points from my experience.

Old 09-09-08, 12:01 PM
John Deere Tractor

Thank you Airman, yes I will be taking on the repair any tips and advice you could provide would be great.
Thank You for your time.

Old 09-10-08, 06:51 AM
I think it is likely you will find damage to the shift rod & fork, brake shaft or shift keys. Inspect everything before you disassemble. Donít disassemble everything, initial focus should be in area of brake shaft.

After you remove the transaxle clean the outside thoroughly before you open it.

On some 920 models there is a bolt, often overlooked, in the square indention close to the center of the case.

At the rear of the transaxle look for 2 slots or pry points where you can get a flat-bladed
screwdriver in and pry up the case. If your 920 does not have these simply use a flat screwdriver, lightly tap it into the divide in between the cases and pry up until the seal is broken. Once you break this seal, top case should lift off pretty easily.

Once open and before cleaning out bentonite grease look for obvious problems. Inspect the shift fork for damage. The fork in the 920 contacts the shift keys collar with only one pin. Look for damage to this pin.

If water has infiltrated the transaxle the bentonite grease may be hard and muddy in appearance.

Inspect bushing and replace if worn.

The top cover should not rock if assembled correctly it will lie flat.

Assemble with unit "in neutral" position. When case is together use vice grips on the shift rod & fork and bench test transaxle. Install pulley, shift in reverse and spin pulley. One axle will turn in one direction, the other in the opposite direction. When you place
the shift rod & fork into a driving gear and spin the pulley, both axles should move forward. Shifting to higher gears will result and axle speeds will noticeably increase. You should be able to spin the axles with your fingers. This is the differential functioning, as it should. By turning the pulley/input shaft and watching the axles move this shows you the transaxle is driving in the respective gears.

If it checks out put the shift fork lever back in neutral before you re-install unit in the tractor.

In addition to bentonite grease PN 788067B and extreme pressure (EP) grease you will need Tecumseh PN 510334 Gasket Eliminator or Loctite No. 515.

Hopefully, Cheese and 30yearTech or others, will point out things I may have overlooked or tips they have.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-02-08, 11:11 AM
John Deere transaxle

Airman thanks for all your help I took the transaxle apart and just like you said the rod and shift fork is broken. The rod is turning on the flat part of the fork. Her is the problem the part is no longer made John Deere part #AM106954 for a Peerless Transaxle #920-017 do you have any idea were I might be able to find one? Could I weld it or drill it and put a pin in it? One problem would be trying to determine where the flat plate has to be positioned on the shaft.
Thank You

Old 10-02-08, 01:21 PM
The peerless number is 784337A. Do a google search and contact stores to see if they have it.

As far as I know it is available.

With as many of these transaxles used I would think you could find a used one.

Check this out.
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?pn=784337A

Old 10-03-08, 12:21 PM
Airman thanks for yor reponse I did find the part and we be installing it. How do I determine the neutral postion of the for reinstalling shift fork, do I need to put new grease in or can I use what is in the transaxle now it looks good and no sign of water in it. Should I seal the halves of the case when putting back together? There was no sealant on it when I took it apart. can I use any type of quailty automotive grease or is it special grease?
Thank you for all your help.