lawn tractor repair

Old 05-26-01, 04:38 PM
Visiting Guest
hi...i have a craftsman's lawn tractor, 14.5hp, 42 inch blades, which is only a year old. while mowing the lawn yesterday, all the sudden the mower stopped and when i looked under it, there was a bar-type thing that im assuming holds down the drive belt, because the belt from the motor to the transmission is just flopping in the breeze. i have tipped the damn thing over and looked everywhere, i just cant seem to find where that bar goes. the engine and everything works fine, i just cant engage the transmission. THANX

Old 05-26-01, 06:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello bunkie and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and for posting your question in my Small Engine forum.

I am not familar with every brand of riding mower nor does my company currently service mowers or garden type equipment. However, I can assume the part in question is the belt tensioning arm. This part is used to maintain tension on the belt, help to guide the belt or keep the belt from flexing.

This part is the arm which may have a roller bearing wheel on it or it may just have an L bend on it's end. Either one may be held in place with a cotter pin somewhere on the body of the deck or engine.

You'll have to look closely to determine how it connects. The trick here may be to notice what the fastening end looks like and find a point that will except the end of the bar.

Good Luck,
Tom_Bartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken!"

Old 05-29-01, 10:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up A picture might be worth a 1000 words....

Also try plugging the model # in Sears website and see what comes up.

Go to http://www.sears.com and then click on "parts". Plug in the complete model # of the unit from the serial # plate and you'll see an exploded view of all the parts for the unit. You can print it out and take it to the tractor and see if you can figure out how it goes together. It might give you an idea. And, you can see if something has broken off that you might have to order .

Good luck. Hope that helps.

Old 08-24-08, 09:25 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Does the part look like an angled piece of iron? This just happened to mine and with further investigation I noted that the brake pad arm had severed by the pully (on both sides!!) Then I notices the weld had let go, raising this brake up just enough to interfere with the pulling. Check to see if there is something riding on the inside of the pully track and you will notice it

Old 08-24-08, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
This question was asked over 7 years ago by someone who is no longer a member and is also nameless.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: