Toro tractor

Old 08-24-08, 09:54 AM
Toro tractor

I have a Toro tactor model 71185 with a Briggs engine model 28M707, I am replacing the needle and seat in the carb (Walboro) ever other year, the crankcase gets gas in it.
I put stabil in the tank and run it at the end of each season.
Any ideas on how to prevent this problem?
I was considering replacing this tractor, I have had good luck with the Toro but am told the new Toros arent as well made now, and the Toros the big box stores sell are not the same quailty as the Toro tractor you would buy from a lawn tractor dealer, I am wondering if this is true and what you would suggest for a good tractor now days, I only use it to cut gas about 3/4 of an acre and to pull a lawn sweeper for leaves in the fall.
Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-08, 10:04 AM
If replacing the seat in your carburetor has not helped, then perhaps you might want to try a complete carburetor assembly, certainly less expensive then a whole new riding mower.

A quick and inexpensive fix, would be to install an inline fuel cutoff. Just turn the fuel off when your done running your mower, and you will never have this problem again. This would cost less then $10.00.

The new Toro riders you see at the box stores are Toro in name and color only. They are manufactured by an outside vendor for Toro.

Old 08-24-08, 10:41 AM
Toro Tractor

Thank you 30yearTech can you still buy a true Toro Tractor or are they all made by outside vendors?

Old 08-24-08, 01:35 PM
I am not sure, but judging from what I see on the Toro website I think only the Classic series may still be made by Toro.

Old 08-25-08, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
I am not sure, but judging from what I see on the Toro website I think only the Classic series may still be made by Toro.

I believe that's correct, all current Toro lawn & garden tractors are made under licence by MTD except the Classic, and that I believe is limited to dealer stock on hand as production stopped this year.