Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Help can't start riding mower!

NC

08-24-08, 10:13 AM   #1  
Help can't start riding mower!

I had some issues with intermittant shutdowns with my Kohler (on a Simplicity Regen). Then the other day I drove her out of the garage to do some work in the garage. I went to put the mower back in the garage and it would not start.

This morning while checking some things, I replaced the spark plug and now it just backfires but still will not start

Help

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

08-24-08, 10:22 AM   #2  
I think if you gave more details about your first sentence, that might help out everyone more.

NC

08-24-08, 10:54 AM   #3  
Posted By: ecman51` I think if you gave more details about your first sentence, that might help out everyone more.
My Simplicity Regent (Kohler Command 16HP) has been having an intermittent problem. While cutting the yard, it will randomly die. I have replaced the air filter, gas filter, spark plug, and changed the oil. Even after all of this, it will all of the sudden die while cutting. After a few seconds you can start her back up and continue cutting. It may not die again then again after a few minutes it may. One thing I have noticed is that when it starts to die, the gas filter is empty. If I shut the motor off as itís dying, then watch the filter, gas will start to fill the filter then I can start her back up and cut for a while. If I donít shut off the motor when it starts to die, it will choke and backfire several times then die. The gas tank looks clean.

Sorry...didn't want to put anyone to sleep!

Thanks

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

08-25-08, 03:36 PM   #4  
Not sure how hard it is to take that particular tank off. If it is hard to do, then you might just see what happens by - with the engine cold, drain out the tank by disconnecting the filter line, and then blowing back up that line.

Don't get some idea though to try to vacuum out the tank as sparks from the vacuum motor could cause an explosion.

In case you are not following al the threads, the advice on this thread may also help you:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=357469

TX

08-25-08, 07:34 PM   #5  
You might have a look at this thread, it seems to be a fairly common problem with Kohlers and may also be what you are experiencing.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...83#post1417383

Search this Thread