Briggs MODEL 217802 TYPE 011451 Magneto Problems?

Old 08-24-08, 02:25 PM
Briggs MODEL 217802 TYPE 011451 Magneto Problems?

My Briggs and Stratton is an OHV pull start 12 HP engine. Since day one, if I stop it once it is hot; it will not restart for several hours to sometimes the next day. I've noticed that the pull start is very easy when this happens and I get no resistance when pulling (normally I pull the cord until it gets a bit harder, let the cord retract, and then give it a full pull).

I've by-passed the safety switch and have taken the spark plug out and attached it to the spark plug wire and grounded the plug housing (threaded part) and see no spark. Plug has been replaced and still the same. I also detached the fuel line to the carburetor and it does squirt gas when I pull the cord so the card is getting fuel

Can it possible be that the magneto is going bad? Maybe getting hot and expanding and getting out of synch with the magnet on the flywheel so it doesn't produce a charge?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-08, 03:45 AM
Your problem is a bit strange. Typically, a defective armature-magneto will quit working while the engine is running.

I surmise the armature-magneto is getting hotter after engine shutdown due to no cooling air and it then fails. A bit odd but plausible.

Your testing method is the correct way to do it. If you are confident, you are not seeing a spark by your testing method then I would say the armature-magneto is defective.

Old 08-26-08, 11:09 AM
Update this only seems to happen on unexpected stops

It seems to hapen more frequently when the engine either runs out of gas or I shut it down with the safety switch. Under these circumstances, it will never start unless it sits quietly for a few hours. If I shut her down using the throttle, it seems to start right back up!

I remember reading somewhere OHV engines (Over Head Valve) has a low oil shutoff (if the oil is low or empty, it disables the engine). Could it be this is engaging when I run the engine to empty?

Old 08-26-08, 02:53 PM
Your engine does not have the low oil feature.

Why are you shutting the engine off with the safety switch?

Warning

Disconnecting wire from coil bypasses ignition and safety switches. Engine will not shut engine off with ignition or safety switches. Be prepared to remove plug wire or ground plug to shut engine off.

Remove the engine blower housing and remove the wire plugged in to the coil. Start engine and run the engine until it is warm. Shut the engine down by removing the spark plug wire. Connect the spark plug wire and try to start the engine. If the engine starts, the coil is obviously good. Reconnect the wire to the coil and try to start the engine. If the engine will not start, you most likely have a defective safety switch.

Old 08-29-08, 05:47 AM
It may not be the safety switch. It's on ON OFF toggle switch that has a teether which I connect to my riding lawnmower. Its a Swisher pull behind Trailcutter (44 inch). In the event the Trailcutter becomes unattached from the rider, the teether turns the toggle swich to the off position.

SAorry for the confusion