Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda Harmony HRB 215 Help

08-24-08, 04:51 PM   #1  
Honda Harmony HRB 215 Help

Hi, new to this forum. I purchased a used Honda Harmony 215 over a year ago. Ran great on first pull after I filled it with gas ( had been run dry and stored for 2 or 3 years). 3 weeks ago tried to start and wouldnt . Installed new plug, plug damp with gas but no spark. Used srewdriver as a way to check spark by placing into igntion wire boot and holding near metal stud to test spark. It was a little hard to pull the starter rope and maybe I'm not pulling fast enough to get spark from the magneto. Do the honda motors have some sort of compression release to facilitate a good spin to give the magneto a good spark before compression builds up and ignites the fuel?

Sponsored Links

OK

08-24-08, 08:24 PM   #2  
no compression release, it should not take much of a spin , instead of a screw driver use a good spark plug and lay it where you can be sure it is grounded good and you can see it easily then spin the motor over. you might check the engine cut off switch to make sure it is not grounding the mag when you are trying to start the engine

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

TN

08-25-08, 03:31 AM   #3  
I think your spark testing method may not be letting you see the spark. Spark is often difficult to detect visually. Ignition coils retail $60 to $70 so you may want to be sure that it is bad before replacing it.

Purchase an inexpensive spark tester from a parts store and test it with the tester or try the following:.

Remove the spark plug, squirt some fuel in the cylinder, reinstall the spark plug and see if it will fire when starting. Alternatively, try the same thing by squirting fuel down the carburetor throat.

To rule out the engine stop switch, disconnect the wire from the ignition coil and try starting with fuel as above or check fro spark with the wire removed using a spark tester.

Warning
If engine starts the shut-off lever will not shut the engine off. Be prepared to remove plug wire or ground plug.

You may just have a fuel delivery problem due to blocked passages in the carburetor. If you just ran it until it quit prior to storing it there would be sufficient fuel left in the carburetor to cause problems. The carburetor has a drain screw on the lower side of the bowl. If it was not drained through the drain screw, I suspect carburetor problems.

TX

08-25-08, 06:28 AM   #4  
Posted By: jrsroadhauze It was a little hard to pull the starter rope and maybe I'm not pulling fast enough to get spark from the magneto. Do the honda motors have some sort of compression release to facilitate a good spin to give the magneto a good spark before compression builds up and ignites the fuel?
Yes, there is a compression release on this engine, if the rope is very hard to pull with the spark plug installed, then it may be time for the valves to be adjusted.

Search this Thread