Tecumseh spring loaded float

Old 08-25-08, 08:32 AM
Tecumseh spring loaded float

Any one have an easy way to install & load the spring on Tecumseh with a spring loaded float? The way the service manul says seems impossable. Yea, its an oldie (1960's) Sears Suburban 12hp horizontal. tractor #917.25350 ss#7581 eng#143.582022 = Tec HH120.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-08, 12:42 PM
Leave it out. I have done this many times without any ill effects.

Old 08-25-08, 02:33 PM
I tried that. And it floods and shoots gas out the vent hole onto the muffler.

Old 08-25-08, 04:09 PM
I forget what the book says but off memory it is best to have a new bowl gasket, stretch spring a hair so it will fit snug between carb posts. Put spring tang under bowl gasket and spring in between carb posts. By stretching a hair it will stay in place. Place float pin barely into post and drop float in GENTLY, sliding float pin in. Now that you have one side in spring should stay in place. I use a small jewelers screw driver to slide other side of spring behind float and drop it in as you push pin through. Hope this makes a little sense. I always have a couple extras around as they tend to go flying. If it is not working take a break and go back after a while. Frustrating to say the least!

Old 08-25-08, 07:41 PM
Smallengineguy; thats pretty much the way I do it, only I use a pick instead of a screw driver. I too have launched my share of these springs to never never land as well.

Best Of Luck...

Old 08-26-08, 05:51 AM
Originally Posted by indypower View Post
I tried that. And it floods and shoots gas out the vent hole onto the muffler.
That ain't the springs fault. The spring actually helps open the float valve...not close it. You have other issues.

Old 08-26-08, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by CPeppy View Post
That ain't the springs fault. The spring actually helps open the float valve...not close it. You have other issues.
If your installing the spring to help open the float, then your installing it the wrong way!

The purpose of the spring is to dampen the movement of the float, particularly in applications where there may be a lot of vibration or movement of the engine. However the carburetor should not flood while sitting idle without the spring installed.

If you are having problems with the carburetor flooding, you need to check the needle and seat (make sure the seat is installed correctly), check the float for a leak, and the atmospheric vent to the float bowl