testing 2 cycle carbs(walbro/zama)

Old 08-25-08, 11:39 AM
testing 2 cycle carbs(walbro/zama)

Can anybody give me some advice on what steps to do on testing carbs. on trimmers,blowers ,chainsaws and any small carbs out there.I bought myself a Mity Vac vacuum pumps which does both .pressure and vaccum.any advice will help or steps, Or do I need some thing else to test them?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-08, 11:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only feasable way to test them is to install them and run the engine on it. A vacuum/pressure pump won't tell anything about it. I have a mightyvac too, but I got it when I worked as an automotive tech to test vacuum motors. It has limited use on samll engine applications.

Old 08-25-08, 12:07 PM
thanks cheese, I usually install them and do some adj. on it while it's on and running .But is there a test that needs to be done when rebuilding a carb.to make sure there are no leaks and the needle is set right.Do you think getting one that walbro or zama recommends.

Old 08-25-08, 12:50 PM
Here are some links to get you started with troubleshooting 2-cycle engines.

Download “Diaphragm Carburetors” manual from this site as well as manuals for individual type carburetors:

http://wem.walbro.com/distributors/servicemanuals/

Here is a link to download the ZAMA carburetor Technical Guide:

http://www.zamacarb.com/pdfs/TechGuide_2007.pdf

Here is a link where you can download some Husqvarna 2-cycle powered equipment as well as a bunch of other junk:

http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co...op_manuals.htm

Good luck

Old 08-26-08, 12:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I suppose I misunderstood the question. I was picturing a guy with a handful of 2-stroke carbs and a vacuum pump, trying to tell which ones were good and which ones were not, heh. Obviously, you can't test a carb to the extent of knowing if it will or won't work with a vacuum/pressure pump. Testing the seal of the needle can be done and you can check operation of the valves. You can also test the primer and fuel lines with it. The mighty vac should work as well as the recommended unit.

Most questions here are from consumers trying to fix their own single item. I'm getting the impression you intend to repair these carbs on a regular basis? If so, you'll still find that the vacuum pump is not really necessary. If you work on them on a regular basis, you will find that you'll know what's wrong before you even hook it up. (I haven't used mine in a few years, which is why my opinion is that it has limited application). If the fuel system is questionable enough to go through these tesing procedures, then you'll find it's best to just redo the carb and lines and be done with it. It's time ahead every time, and time is money, and money runs out quick when working on 2-strokes, since they aren't usually very expensive in the first place.

Not to discourage you on the vacuum pump, but I wouldn't place too much importance on it.

Old 08-27-08, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info cheese, Your are right on handling the carbs. I started doing a side business on small engine repairs and found out after doing so many that I usually find whats wrong on the carb. and it be done with it.I just wandered about the pump ,Because I was catching up on some walbro/zama repair manuals and they mention about the pressure test.So far on the repairs I haven't had too much problem.Crossed my fingers.