Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

No fire at plug

08-25-08, 11:41 AM   #1  
No fire at plug

I am trying to get a 8hp Briggs running. It is an old one from about 1970 or so. I can not locate any numbers on the motor. The motor has been rebuilt several years ago but ran very little since. The ignition system has not been touched. The motor is on a wood splitter and only gets used every few years.
I have no fire at the plug. I replaced the points/condensor and set the points at
.025 when open. I sanded the magnet on the magneto and also lightly sanded the feet on the coil also. I put a new spark plug in to. The points open and closed freely when the motor is turned over.
What else can I do? Is there a way to test the coil to see if that is bad? Please help!

Huck

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-25-08, 11:53 AM   #2  
The points should be set at .020".

If it were me, I'd forget the points and just install a new coil with electronic ignition. Set it .010" from the magnet on the flywheel and be done with ignition problems forever on this engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-25-08, 11:57 AM   #3  
How do I determine what coil to use for this motor? I have not heard of doing this. Will any new BS coil work that will bolt on?

WI

08-25-08, 12:27 PM   #4  
Sure. Part number 398811. Or if you decide to stay with the point ignition since you've already purchased the parts, do this. Bring the gap to .020 as sugested. When they are closed put a piece of clean paper between the contacts and pull to make sure they're clean. Also take heed when putting the cover back on that the wires going through the condenser don't touch that cover. That'll ground out the igntion and you'll never have spark.

08-25-08, 12:53 PM   #5  
I reset the points to .020 and with the cover off from the points I still dont have any fire. The wire from the coil should also go to the same place the condensor wire connects, correct me if I am wrong. I took this apart a week ago when I order the points and now am second guessing everything I am doing trying to get this to run. I did clean the points with paper as suggested. Still no fire... Is the coils suspect? FYI the points were cracked. When I pulled it from storage it would run, barely, very rough, almost like a hit miss motor. Spark was very weak, since changing the points I get nothing.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-26-08, 12:25 AM   #6  
Sounds like you have it connected right. Check to see if the points make continuity when closed with an ohmmeter. If so, make sure the coil is on right-side-up, and the kill wire is not grounded.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WI

08-26-08, 05:44 AM   #7  
Sounds like you have a Tecumseh...not a Brigg's. The Brigg's points are metal so they can't crack. And the condenser for a Brigg's doesn't have its own wire. Still the same principle. Make sure the wires aren't grounding out. If you had weak spark before, new points should be 'gooder'. A coil shouldn't fail just by changing points.

TX

08-26-08, 06:33 AM   #8  
Posted By: CPeppy Sounds like you have a Tecumseh...not a Brigg's. The Brigg's points are metal so they can't crack. And the condenser for a Brigg's doesn't have its own wire. Still the same principle. Make sure the wires aren't grounding out. If you had weak spark before, new points should be 'gooder'. A coil shouldn't fail just by changing points.
This all depends upon the specific model type and code of this engine. Some older Briggs 8 hp and larger engines did use separate points and condenser assemblies. I am not sure if those style points sets are even still available though.

TN

08-26-08, 06:38 AM   #9  
Posted By: CPeppy And the condenser for a Brigg's doesn't have its own wire.
Briggs and Stratton produced engines with four different types of points. Some use condensers that have a wire.
http://www.smallenginebusiness.com/m...s/7-05005.html

If posters would just include model number, etc. it would make things easier.

08-26-08, 04:17 PM   #10  
Yes, this is a Briggs engine. Sorry for not including engine #'s etc... I cant find any on this motor. I have looked all over it and cant find any, even under the flywheel shroud.

Search this Thread