Husqvarna shake rattle (no roll yet)

Old 08-27-08, 01:33 PM
Husqvarna shake rattle (no roll yet)

I have a Husqvarna 18.5hp, 42" cut riding mower; model No. is LTH18542C, S/N 082404C002666 with a Briggs & Stratton ELS500 engine. Everything runs well until I engage the blades. Then the deck begins to rattle and vibrate *very* loudly with a loud bang at irregular intervals. I dropped the deck and found the deck blade belt was loose around the right side (as you sit in the mower seat) blade pulley, allowing the blade to spin freely. It was tight around the left blade pulley and blade was hard to spin. I assume the bang was the blades hitting each other. The deck was clear of grass and debris. I replaced the belt thinking it might have stretched. Same problem again. Been all over the 'net and owner's manual looking for answers and have come up empty. Thanks in advance for your help.

Elliott

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-08, 04:16 PM
When you had the belt off, did you check all the blade spindles to see if the turned freely and had not up and down or back and forth motion of the blade shaft?

It kidna sounds like you may have a bad blade spindle.

Old 08-28-08, 12:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Also check the housing that mounts to the deck with the spindle in it. They are aluminum, and can crack, causing the housing to tilt and the blade to hit the underside of the deck,a nd the belt to slip.

Old 08-28-08, 10:28 AM
Thanks for your replies Cheese and Tech. Have done what you suggested - no play in the blade spindles and no visible cracks in the spindle housing.

After studying the mower deck diagrams in the OM, there is no Arm Asm Pad Brake (Key #53, Part #532 18 49-07) installed on the right side of the mower deck and no Spring Extension (Key #147, Part #532 13 13-35) as shown. It doesn't appear that either part was ever installed.

Could this be part of the problem? Could the loose belt be causing the problem? Is there a way to adjust the belt tension? So many questions......sorry.

This is a wonderful resource. Usually my questions are answered by just digging around.

Elliott

Old 08-28-08, 11:57 AM
Does the belt tighten up when you engage the blades?

Are the blades hitting any of the baffles under the mower deck?

The blades are offset in their mounting in the deck, so they should never hit each other.

Old 08-28-08, 01:15 PM
The belt does tighten up when engaged, but not enough. Still sloppy; it depresses more than an inch when pushed on in the center.

Blades are not hitting baffles. No obstructions underneath.

Would those two missing parts referred to below have anything to do with this?

Also beginning to think dealer may have supplied wrong belt. Only thing wrong with this is that the problem existed before belt change.

Regards,

Elliott

Old 08-28-08, 05:05 PM
I can't imagine that the missing parts would casue the problem you describe as they are only there to help stop the blades from turning when the belt is disengaged, and are not a factor when the mower is engaged. I would still suspect a problem with one of the spindles. Check the drive pulley's on each spindle make sure they are not loose or bent causing the vibration.

Old 08-28-08, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not looking at a manual, but doesn't that mower have an electric blade clutch, or do you have to move a lever to engage them?

If electric, it never had the blade brakes you mentioned. In either case, the absence of the brake shouldn't be causing your problem.

Most often, the shaking deck is caused by a thin spot on the belt where it burned/slipped and wore the belt thin.