Flywheel stuck, oil leaking

Old 08-27-08, 04:16 PM
Flywheel stuck, oil leaking

I have a used Craftsman(model 917270860) with a B&S I/P Platnium Turbo cooled 20.5hp engine, (model 461707). Just bought it. Used it for about 30 min during the test drive, everything fine. Today, I started it up, reversed it about 30 feet, engaged blades, heard a 'popping sound' and saw smoke. .. decided to turn it off and investigate. Tried to start without blades engaged, would not start. Read posts here for about an hour and I think I may have the broken key problem but I did not run over anything and the blades move freely. Maybe blades too close to ground..? (Ground does not look like it got beat with blades.)
Anyway, I tried turning the fly wheel by hand. It turned both ways freely. I tried to start again and it started. I let it run about 10 seconds, it sounded ok and I tuned it back off. It wont start again and the flywheel will not turn at all.
I noticed oil leaking from the back, right hand corner of the crankcase. corner near the oil fill spout. I'm guessing this is not good..
Can't figure out how to get the flywheel off to check the key and wondering if I should spend that time with the oil leak thing.. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-08, 04:23 PM
Take the spark plug out and see if you can rotate the engine over. The oil leak may just be the seal at the dipstick tube. Check your oil level and see if it appears to be too full, if so then see if the oil smells of gas..

Let us know what you find, and we can help you further.

Old 08-27-08, 04:34 PM
OK. Took out spark plugs, (there are 2), doesn't start and flywheel won't turn. Oil does have a very slight gas smell and oil leak seem obvious that it is seeping through back area of case where metal meets..

Old 08-27-08, 05:11 PM
My spouse says there is NO gas smell in oil. May have it on my hands, not sure if that matters..

Old 08-27-08, 06:11 PM
Was the oil level correct? Not too full or too low?

Old 08-27-08, 06:34 PM
Oil level is good. A little lower than this afternoon though.

Old 08-28-08, 12:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sure sounds like the engine siezed. Got a warranty? The flywheel key won't/can't cause your problem. If the starter gear jammed into the teeth on the flywheel, it could lock it up like that. Check the starter drive gear.

Old 08-28-08, 07:47 AM
Starter gear is not stuck. It gets stuck if I try and start it. It clicks and gets stuck but I can rotate it back around to get it out of the flywheel teeth. The flywheel just wont move. So.. think its toast huh?

Old 08-29-08, 12:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Without knowing what the previous owner may have done to get it to run to sell it, it's hard to know what happened. It wouldn't hurt to check to be sure the coil didn't come loose and hit the flywheel, but usually the flywheel can be turned a little one way or the other when this happens. Also, if a magnet from the underside of the flywheel came loose it could jam. I wonder if the prior owner blew it and then tried to rebuild it? It sounds like toast to me, but worth checking the other stuff mentioned to be sure.