exhaust coming from carb.

Old 08-27-08, 05:18 PM
Question exhaust coming from carb.

Can anybody tell me what would cause smoke to come out of carb section on a 3.5 Briggs & Stratton float carb,also when I put my finger on the prime button(black with hole in the middle)it causes the engine to turn off. it revs up and down. I clean the carb in a carb solution and I guess it didnt get everything out.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-08, 12:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the smoke coming from the carb throat? Or the air cleaner housing? What model engine? Could be blowby coming out the breather.

Old 08-29-08, 07:17 AM
cheese ,it's coming out of the air cleaner housing after the engine is turned off, I'll get back with the engine model.(sorry)

Old 08-29-08, 11:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like blowby from the rings.

Old 08-30-08, 01:03 PM
Question

cheese ,is there a remedy for this problem. Do I have to change the rings.

Old 08-31-08, 01:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some is normal. The remedy? Could be rings, piston, cylinder, and/or breather problems if it is in fact smoke coming from the crankcase.

Old 08-31-08, 11:25 AM
Cool

Thanks cheese,it is an old mower that my inlaw gave to me for me to tinkle with it .I got it started and running pretty good but after I shut it off it got what looks like exhaust smoke .I guess I'll use it for parts.also cheese is there a way to tell if the breather is bad?

Old 08-31-08, 11:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know how much smoke it was, but it sounds like normal operation to me. If it's not smoking when it's running, it should be fine.

If the breather valve is stuck, it's bad. Removal and inspection is the best way. I'll say that a bad breather is very rare on small engines. I think I could count on one hand the number of bad breathers I've encountered.

Old 09-01-08, 08:53 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks cheese ,for Your info.The mower doees not smoke when running ,Just at shutting off and it is not alot.I check the breather to see what You meant on being stuck. It has a little resistance on the cut out part in the middle,I guess that is normal.Thanks cheese for Your help .