Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tecumseh won't keep running

08-28-08, 11:16 AM   #1  
Tecumseh won't keep running

I have a Scott Lawnmower with a Tecumseh engine. I push the primer 3 time and the engine starts and dies. I repeat 3 time and dies. The only way I can keep it running is once it starts very quickly before it dies, pump the primer ball several more times or hold it in for about 30 seconds. After I release the primer the engine continues to run Ok. If I stop the engine and restart it, it runs fine, no problem. Only when starting when the engine is cold. The engine Model# OVRM120 22032E. The carburetor part #640274. I have removed the carb., cleaned it and replaced the breather hose to it. The fuel line looks Ok. So far nothing seems to help.

Sponsored Links

TX

08-28-08, 12:13 PM   #2  
Did you replace the top and bottom O-Ring seals on the nozzle in the carburetor when you had it apart?

If not, I would suspect that they are leaking and the carburetor is not drawing fuel properly.

Best of Luck...

08-28-08, 04:09 PM   #3  
30yearTech,

Thank you very much for the pictures and the advise. I
will change them right away.

IA

04-22-12, 07:40 AM   #4  
This is old thread, but I had the same problem. I cleaned and rebuilt the carb and still same problem. What I didn't realize was the second o-ring on the main jet. When I pulled out to clean I didn't look close enough to realize the inside o-ring had rotted and gummed up inside where the main jet slides in. I took some more cleaning and problem solved. The reason I didn't know there was the second o-ring because it didn't come out along with the jet when I pulled it.

Search this Thread