Troybilt 5550 Generator

Old 08-28-08, 04:04 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Troybilt 5550 Generator

Model 01919-00 10 Hp B&s Ohv Engine. The Unit Is 3 Yrs Old Only Used A Few Hours Testing In The Spring.
Tried To Use After Ts Fay And Unit Would Only Run For 15 Mins And Shut Off. Changed Gas Twice And New Plug Still Only Runs 10 To 15 Mins At A Time .you Can Pull Start As Soon As It Shuts Off. Used For 2 Days Until Power Restored. Unit Is Full Of Oil Does Anyone Have Any Reason For This Happening?

Old 08-28-08, 04:58 PM
Possible fuel cap venting problem, else I would suspect a problem in the carburetor.

Old 08-28-08, 05:32 PM
Hello Mark,

Your Troybuilt model number doesn't tell me what model and type number Briggs engine you have on this unit.

I will assume since it is a long run unit (large fuel tank) that it does have the low oil shut-down system (oil alert).

About the time this unit was new (3 years ago) I had one come in with the same problem. After doing some testing the oil alert module under the top engine cover was at fault. Briggs had a small problem with this module being too sensitive once the oil heated and started splashing around in the crankcase, This caused a false low oil signal and would shut the engine down.

They now have a replacement that will solve this problem.

Your's can be tested by removing the plastic cover from the top of the engine;

Disconnect the black wire at the module going to the coil back behind the shroud then test run the engine for a longer running time.

If it then runs longer replace the oil alert module, If one is purchased you should receive the newer version.

Good Luck

Old 08-29-08, 04:19 PM
M
Troy-bilt 5550

Thanks For The Response I Had Tried Running With The Fuel Cap Loose But It Did Not Help.

The Mod # 204412 0147e1 050118ye B&s

I Pulled The Black Wire Off The Oil Sensor Because It Was Easier To Get To And The Unit Ran Solid For 3 Hours Before I Turned It Off. How Do You Tell If It Is The Oil Sensor Or The Oil Sensor Module?
At Least The Unit Can Be Used Now If Heaven Forbid
Another Storm Comes Our Way.

Thanks
Mark490

Old 08-29-08, 05:48 PM
Mark,

Here is the test procedure for the crankcase sensor. But, Keep in mind that it only acted up after running 10/15 minutes. So perform the test cold sitting then after warmed for 10/15 minutes.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: