Pressure washer surges

Old 08-30-08, 09:53 AM
Pressure washer surges

I have a karcher 1600 psi electric pressure washer (K3 78M). When I turn it on the pressure quickly reaches rated pressure, but then it starts to surge before I even use it. When I use the spray it seems to work so-so, then when the trigger is released it goes back to surging. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-08, 11:05 AM
Sounds like you may have a carburetor issue, perhaps it may have some build up and may need cleaning.

Can you post the brand and model number of the engine thats on your pressure washer??

Old 08-30-08, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
Uhhhh 30yr? Its electric....

Maybe something with the unloader? Dunno...

Old 08-31-08, 01:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I missed the fact that it's electric too at first. Being a gas engine forum, it's easy to assume everything here is gas powered (usually is). Not saying your question isn't ok here, just trying to cover for my co-moderator a bit, heh .

I have extremely limited experience with electric pressure washers, but from what I have seen, they are fairly simple. A lot of them cycle on/off rapidly when they are not spraying, (is this what you describe as surging?). I believe the cycling when not in use is caused by a leaking wand. There is a pressure switch that is supposed to shut the motor off when it builds up enough pressure. If this pressure is leaking quickly, the switch turns the motor back on, it builds up pressure again, shuts off, etc... sometimes in rapid succession.

Old 08-31-08, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Uhhhh 30yr? Its electric....

Maybe something with the unloader? Dunno...
Oops!! Must have not had my glasses on... I just breezed past the "electric" part. I just made the assumption that it was a gas powered unit and you were describing a condition with the engine

Cheese pretty much covered what I know about electrics in his post, hopefully if there is something more another member will chime in...

Search this Thread