Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Kohler command 16 OHV

08-30-08, 11:55 AM   #1  
Kohler command 16 OHV

I have a Sears Craftsman L1000 w/a Kohler Command 16 OHV, CV 460S. Cut grass, let sit 24+- hrs. Went to re-start. Hard starting, smoked badly. Pumped gas/oil out of exhaust. OIL was full of GAS. Almost a full tank of gas was drained into the oil pan. It will run, but barely. What is going on?? Help.

Sponsored Links

TX

08-30-08, 07:23 PM   #2  
I would bet that the carburetor is flooding, may have a bad float, or inlet needle and or seat. I would look at the carburetor as the cause of this problem, may have also just have some dirt, or build up inside, a plugged float bowl vent can also cause the carburetor to flood.

TN

08-30-08, 07:32 PM   #3  
The carburetor float is most likely sticking or dragging allowing a continuous flow of gas through the carburetor and into the crankcase.

I often do this repair with the carburetor installed. Remove the carburetor bowl and the float and inlet needle. Pay attention to the position of the needle spring, if so equipped, it will need to go back in the same position.

Polish the needle cavity using a wooden meat skewer with one end wrapped with NEVR-DULL metal polish. The wrapped tip should fit tightly in the needle cavity. Chuck the skewer in a drill and insert the end wrapped with the NEVR-DULL in the needle cavity. If a drill won’t fit in the area use fingers to rotate skewer. Operate the drill slowly several seconds and the needle cavity is usually clean and polished. If you do not have NEVR-DULL use a wooden skewer, wrap the tip with cotton then saturate the cotton with the metal polish of your choice.

Install and set inlet needle and float. Place a few drops of solvent or fuel on the inlet needle.

Reassemble carburetor, place fuel in tank and see if carburetor is holding.

If the carburetor is removed from the engine, you can polish the seat and pressure test the needle seat by inverting the carburetor and applying 5-15 PSI air pressure to the fuel inlet fitting. A seat that functions properly should hold the pressure. Move the float with your finger and observe that it moves freely.

Be sure to change the contaminated oil after you repair the carburetor.

TN

08-30-08, 07:37 PM   #4  
Sorry about that.

30yearTech was posting while I was typing. I get a bit long winded in saying essentially what he said. The plugged bowl vent could be a cause as 30yearTech pointed out.

TX

08-31-08, 05:38 AM   #5  
Posted By: Airman Sorry about that.

30yearTech was posting while I was typing. I get a bit long winded in saying essentially what he said. The plugged bowl vent could be a cause as 30yearTech pointed out.
Airman,
Well I for one am certainly not sorry, that is a great tip to clean out and resurface the seat. I have never tried that before, but will certainly give it a try next time I have a stubborn leaking Kohler carb.

Great Tip...

09-03-08, 04:14 PM   #6  
Seems many late Kohlers have this problem. The solution already presented probably fixes what should have come correctly done from the factory. FYI: Some folk are installing a manual shut-off valve at the carburetor inlet in order to prevent this.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-03-08, 07:40 PM   #7  
The above advice is dead on. I only wanted to add that I use a Q-tip dabbed in rubbing compound/chrome polish and inserted in a drill to clean and polish the seat when the situation requires it. Just thought that might be easier to come up with if you don't have wooden meat skewers handy.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OK

09-04-08, 04:58 AM   #8  
I use a Q-tip wrapped with a few strands of 0000 steel wool moistened with carb cleaner chucked in 12V drill.
Last Kohler I worked on, even after doing this I installed a fuel shutoff valve to make sure. The Stens plastic one costs less than 5$.
Thanks,

NM

05-30-10, 05:42 PM   #9  
Posted By: Richard Sadler I have a Sears Craftsman L1000 w/a Kohler Command 16 OHV, CV 460S. Cut grass, let sit 24+- hrs. Went to re-start. Hard starting, smoked badly. Pumped gas/oil out of exhaust. OIL was full of GAS. Almost a full tank of gas was drained into the oil pan. It will run, but barely. What is going on?? Help.
hey i have the same riding lawn mower, due you happen to have the model # or any thing to help find parts for this ..i need new belts and pulleys ..??/ thanks

Search this Thread