Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

TroyBilt Differential Oil

08-30-08, 12:40 PM   #1  
TroyBilt Differential Oil

Tactor is 1999 17 hp vari-drive. What oil should be used in the differential?

Sponsored Links

TN

08-30-08, 07:00 PM   #2  
Give us a brand, model number and transaxle number if possible and we may be able to answer your question.

08-31-08, 11:14 AM   #3  
differential oil

Tractor: TroyBilt 13AU604H063
Transaxle: 918-0551A (replaces 618-0386)

And . . . how can I find a service manual for this? I have the Kohler engine manual, but can't locate one for the rest of the tractor? FYI: I bought this new from TroyBilt, and they're no help.

thanks for helping.
jc

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-08, 11:27 PM   #4  
They don't take oil. I use "00" grease (double ought) for these trannies. Available at most lawnmower repair shops by the quart. One quart should be enough if you've disassembled the tranny and cleaned out the original grease. There is no place to add or drain the grease...it's a sealed unit.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-01-08, 03:20 PM   #5  
00 Grease - Excellent!!

I don't have an immediate problem, but was concerned that I might be neglecting a service item. Thanks for the info.
jc

04-04-09, 05:45 PM   #6  
Transaxle broken?

Tractor: TroyBilt 13AU604H063 (new 1999)
Transaxle: 918-0551A (replaces 618-0386)

Tractor has worked fine since my last posting - about 80 more hours on it. Half of the 80 hrs was using the new scraper box - hard work. But now . . .

History:
The transaxle first (maybe 20 hrs ago) was occasionally a bit sticky in shifting to/from any gear - but I "let it develop".
Later the drive belt was very stretched and slipping and otherwise needed replacing so I completed that this week, about 4 hours ago. Worked fine mowing the spring weeds until today.

Now:
1. First the shift handle wouldn't shift to reverse position - Forward and Neutral OK. I checked the linkage - all in place and doesn't seem bent.
2. I disconnected the linkage and by moving just the transverse linkage rod shifted the transaxle into the three positions - seemed OK - definite snap into each of the 3 positions and there didn't seem to be any excessive play.
3. Reconnected the linkage, shortining the length by one full thread, thinking that that might cause it to shift more fully to reverse. Didn't work - tractor still would not go backwardsr and now would not go into forward. So, reset the linkage to original length, and moved tractor around the yard in forward only.
4. Had to stop tractor to open a gate. Restarted tractor and drove forward through gate, stopping tractor to close the gate. When I restarted the tractor, shifted to Forward and depressed the pedal. Nothing happened in any gear except I can hear the vari-pully turning.

Am I correct that I must have an internal transaxle problem? If so, what should I expect to find when I get it open? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
Jerry

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-04-09, 08:46 PM   #7  
Does the tranny actually shift into reverse, but not go? Or does it fail to even shift into reverse? The problem you're having now leads me to think your varidrive-to-transmission belt has jumped off. Common problem on that mower.

God bless!

04-05-09, 03:17 PM   #8  
Tranny doesn't shift into any gear, but the shift lever and linkage move properly. Belts are all in place and tensioned properly. Transmission pully (very large - on top of tranny) turns by hand in either direction regardless of gear selection. Just seems stuck in neutral.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-05-09, 09:06 PM   #9  
Well, I guess you've got internal problems like you suspected. I don't know what to tell you to expect. Maybe a stripped pinion gear?

God bless!

TN

04-06-09, 07:09 AM   #10  
I have repaired more of this type transmission than any other in the last few years. They are simple and easy to repair. Internal damage could be anything. I have seen more differential assembly failures than anything else but differential failures present themselves with grinding noises.

I could not find a parts breakdown for the 618-0386 transmission. Every transmission of this type I have repaired had parts lists available and most had service bullets and service kits issued for them. I do not know if parts in this transmission is the same as others or not.

This manual shows disassembly and repair of this type transmission in section 3 and 4.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/MTD/...ice_Manual.pdf

04-06-09, 11:58 AM   #11  
Drat! I was afraid of that.

Guys, many thanks for your insight and direction on this. Now I get to open it up and take a look.

Where might I find parts? My Google search only finds replacement transaxles - no internal parts.

04-26-09, 07:06 PM   #12  
Problem solved !

Problem was a broken shift fork. Much labor, $20 part.

Thanks again for letting me use your experience.

Jerry

05-20-09, 01:24 PM   #13  
MTD transaxle making grinding noise.

Posted By: JerryC Problem was a broken shift fork. Much labor, $20 part.

Thanks again for letting me use your experience.

Jerry
Jerry

Where do you find parts for this transmission?

I took it out of my MTD and found 3 holes in the casing. So it must be dry inside. It's making an intermitant grinding noise.

I wonder if I could take it apart, patch the holes and rebuild it. I don't want to spend $350+ to by a new one.

I took it in to a local mower shop and he gave me the replacement part number ( 918-0551A ). So I've been Googling that part number as well as looking at the pdf from mymowerparts.com but can't find any place that sells parts. Just the complete assembly.

Have any recomendations?

Search this Thread