Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Valsi 5500 watt generator has no voltage output

08-30-08, 10:14 PM   #1  
Valsi 5500 watt generator has no voltage output

Good evening. I have a Valsi 5500 watt gas powered portable generator. I bought it after Hurricane Katrina in August of 2005. Have not used it much. In preperation for Hurricane Gustav, I took it out yesterday and fired it up. All seemed well with the exception of the idle fluxuating. I plugged in my fridge and ran it with a load for approx. an hour and it seemed to be fine and the engine a little smoother after some running. This morning I put a fresh tank of gas and some treatment in it and it still had a little fluxuation to the RPM's. As I was trying to adjust the carb, I knocked the rod off of the throttle body. While replacing it, the enging reved up and the volt meter showed it at almost 300 volts, I killed the engine, connected the rod and when I fired it back up I had no voltage or power on the 110 outlet. I checked the overload breakers and the GFI on the 110 outlets, all seemed fine. I tried pressing them numerous times and nothing. After some reading on this site, I tried to re energize following the extension cord direction and still nothing. Does anyone have any ideas on what else could have tripped/blown?

Thanks in advance.
John

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-08, 12:53 AM   #2  
Plug an incandescent light bulb into the outlet, and run it. Rev it up a bit manually and see if the light ever comes on. Don't rev it way higher than normal operating range, but a bit higher. You may have blown diodes at the rotor.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread