Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb/intake Problem

NC

08-31-08, 10:28 AM   #1  
Carb/intake Problem

Hey all. It's been a while since I've been around. I've got a funny problem and thought you guys might offer some insight, I hope you hear me cheese.

I've got a pair of mowers one is a 11.5 horse briggs and an opposed twin 14 horse briggs. They both have had there carbs rebuilt last year and were running great. They have both been stored for around three months under a tarp.

Both are now having the same problem. They will only run with the choke in the almost fully applied position. When the choke is removed the engines dies all at once. I have tried fresh gas in both with no luck. The only thing they have in common is being under a tarp in the heat for the past three months.

I would assume that there has to be a leak in the intakes somewhere however, I wanted to check with you guys first before I turn a wrench. Thanks in advance for your input.

Dave237

Sponsored Links

GA

08-31-08, 11:06 AM   #2  
I think Dale replied to your post under the thread about boomtastic's 16.5 Briggs Flooding (Strange Issue). Sounds like a good starting point.

Most gas nowadays has some ethanol in it, and it collects moisture and degrades faster with heat and humidity. The tarp accelerates the degradation.

NC

08-31-08, 09:21 PM   #3  
Thanks!

Thanks much. I'm believeing the same thing. The only thing both engines had in commen with each other is the same gas and their being under the same tarp together. Ethel will $uck up some gaskets I'm sure! I will await cheese and I do hope to get his most wise response. He is the man in the know on these engines because he has helped me repair the same engines in the past and gave advice that only a wise man could !

Thanks again!
dave237

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-31-08, 10:52 PM   #4  
Hi Dave,

I dunno about the wise man thing, heh... my hat size went up 2 sizes after reading that one, lol .

I haven't read the other post Roger mentioned, but I would suggest you remove the carb bowl and drain the old gas out, inspect for water and/or varnish in the carb. Spray out the carbs with carb cleaner through all passages, and if the gas has ethanol and/or doesn't smell fresh with that strong gas kick that you expect fresh gas to have, drain it and refill with fresh. If it's only been 3 months, and there is no bad water damage in the carbs, this should solve the problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NC

09-01-08, 08:31 AM   #5  
Thanks

Cheese,

I will do so. It will be a while before I'll be able to work on these. I'll reply back as soon as I can. Thanks again for all you guys help.

Dave237

Search this Thread