Honda EX1000 weak spark?

Old 08-31-08, 07:58 PM
Honda EX1000 weak spark?

Hello,

I have a Honda EX1000 with less than 40 hours on it since new, and it ran fine a year ago. It won't start now (sputters on first pull) and when I checked the plug, it was fuel fouled. I replaced the plug but still no start. I then checked the spark and found it to be what I think is weak; only jumped maybe 1/8" at best. What is the most likely culprit, the ignition coil? I know it has an electronic mag unit as well, but the fact that there is a spark at all seems to indicate that's ok. Any ideas? I appreciate any comments on this. Thank you very much!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-08, 10:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't be too concerned about the spark just yet. If there is a blue spark, it is probably sufficient. Try cranking it without the air filter.

Old 09-11-08, 09:31 PM
Fixed

Well, as I suspected, it was an ignition problem. Once it stalls, it won't restart even with the air cleaner off. Checked for spark and it was very weak. Purchased a new ignition coil (very expensive at $89, double the price of the later engine serial number models) and installed it. Now it will spark over 1/2". Pulled it twice w/o even using the choke and it fired up; readjusted the rpm for 60 cycles and was outputting about 118-120VAC. Shut it off after 15 minutes of running, waited about 5 minutes and pulled it again, fired right up!