Please help with B&S throttle return spring/governor linkage assembly.

Old 09-01-08, 01:01 PM
Please help with B&S throttle return spring/governor linkage assembly.

I am stuck trying to configure the throttle return spring/governor linkage assembly on a B&S 10hp Synchro-Balanced that need to have remote throttle. This Model-251417, Type-0153-01, horizontal engine runs strong but was in need of carburetor repair. I have the B&S manuals but there is no clear diagram of how this particular setup should be. My best guess is that there has been some shade-tree work done in an attempt to relocate the throttle thereby bypassing the governor but I don’t really know for sure (see throttle mount bracket on old carburetor). For everyone’s convenience I have posted high resolution pictures of the all new parts assembly so far on my website www.withsolutions.com NOTE: This is not a marketing website.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-08, 05:45 PM
it looks as if you connected everything correctly. however, the linkage usaully needs to be adjusted. this is most easily done with a pair of needle nose pliers. you will also need a tachometer. with the engine running, and in the highspeed setting, bend the new tab that attaches to the governor spring downward. this will stretch the spring, and give you more rpm. my recommendation is to set the high speed at 3200 rpm. some will say 3600, but briggs engine last alot longer at 3200.

Old 09-05-08, 07:16 PM
I'm with Bill, everything looks good to me.

Did you perform the static governor adjustmet?

Old 12-08-08, 06:22 AM
Hi Wally, Bill, 30yrtech and every-one else.
Ive got the same sort of problem as Wally.
Ive just purchased an old G10 bolens tractor with a rotary hoe fitted to its rear and it has very little throttle control.
the first 1/4 of the the throttle brings the revs up to (my guess ) 1600 -1700 rpm , but if you go any more than that BANG shes valve bouncing .
and the problem is it hasn't got quite enough power to keep digging at the lower revs.
Can some one explain the static governor adjustment.
Thanks Bert.
Buy the way Wally, Thats some fine work with the Camera. you did well to get the pics that clear with so little room to work in around the Carb.

Old 12-08-08, 05:24 PM
Loosen the arm that is attached to the shaft. Hold the throttle on the carburetor to the wide open position and note which direction the arm attached to the governor shaft moves. While holding the throttle wide open rotate the governor shaft in the same direction it would turn to open the throttle, turn it until it stops. Tighten the arm back down to the governor shaft. Thats the procedure for making the static adjustment on any internal governor, horizontal or vertical.