Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Garden Tractor Steering Problem

09-02-08, 10:49 AM   #1  
Craftsman Garden Tractor Steering Problem

I own a Craftsman Garden Tractor, Model No. 917.275023. The steering started locking up as I would make turns while mowing. At first, it would just stick and you'd have to give it a tug to turn the wheel back to 'straight'. Eventually, it locked all together. The steering wheel would turn ALL THE WAY AROUND at this point and the wheels would not move.

I replaced the following parts -
Bearing, Race Thrust Harden
Draglink Vgt
Bushing, Strg. Blk
Bearing, Col. Strg.
Bushing, Nyliner Snap

After replacing the parts, the steering would still stick and eventually quit all together again. The wheel would turn all the way around and the wheels would not move.

I don't want to have to buy a new mower and am not sure what to replace next .

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links

MI

09-02-08, 06:40 PM   #2  
I just looked at another forum for you - x - type in craftsman steering , up came a whole bunch of Ideas. If these don't help let me know I will try to get you in tuch with a guy near me that says "He has the fix for the craftsman steering problem."

Try turning the steering wheel and watch the upper shaft - if the steering wheel turns and the shaft doesn't - need to tighten or replace the steering wheel.

I would think that what you will find is that the upper shaft is pushing away from the half moon gear. this is a common problem and that is the "fix" that this guy is talking about. Try that site - he might have read his fix there.

Last edited by cheese; 09-02-08 at 09:09 PM. Reason: removal of url to other forum

TN

09-02-08, 08:43 PM   #3  
I have not seen any problems with the newer steering system installed on your mower. Not to say they aren't there. Maybe this manual will help.

http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co...002_182208.pdf

09-03-08, 09:01 AM   #4  
Thanks

Thanks for your responses. I'll check it out and let you know how it goes!!

I appreciate your time

Lisa

09-03-08, 03:47 PM   #5  
darn steering!

I had a similar set of symptoms this past spring with my TroyBilt. Problem was that the bottom steering shaft bushing was worn - allowed the gears to unmesh.
Labor-intensive repair as it's about as close to the center (and far from easy access) of the tractor as you can get. Best news was that the replacement part is an improved (metal) version of the original plastic. Also was a good opoortunty to clean the nooks and crannys, and easily replace the fuel line all the way to the tank while the tank was out.

02-06-09, 07:48 PM   #6  
different craftsman steering problem?

11yo Craftsman 42 917.271012 w Kohler 15.5. New to me.All is freshly lubed

Normal turning is ok but when I turn harder, near full lock.
The inside front wheel slides.

What is the toe in/out suppose to be set at? Or any other problems I should look for?

thanks
Marvis

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-06-09, 08:08 PM   #7  
The toe should be set at zero ....

Sounds to me like your center link is bent.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

02-07-09, 09:27 PM   #8  
different craftsman steering problem?

Bingo, Hammered the tie rod back almost straight.

And reversed the deck rods for clearances and she is turning great.

thanks
Marvis

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

02-07-09, 09:29 PM   #9  
Great, glad we could help!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread