NEEDED tecumseh engine diagnoeses

Old 09-02-08, 01:57 PM
NEEDED tecumseh engine diagnoeses

I have what i THINK is a 7hp h shaft tecumseh engine on a snowblower. The model # is h70-130123A. The engine at start up runs at idle speed no matter where the throttle is at. Then about a min. into it the starts to run away. The local shop said it could be the governor, or the butterflyshaft in the carb. Also we have cleaned out the float bowle and needle seat. To no help there. I need exploded veiws and help with this since I cant afford the $65 an hr for the shop. THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-08, 06:11 PM
You can find a parts lists at partstree.com

I would check the throttle on your carburetor, it sounds like its sticking. This could be some build up in the throttle plate area of the carburetor. Spray some cleaner in the throat of the carburetor and work the throttle back and forth by hand, it should move freely to wide open and the spring should pull it back when you release it.

Best of Luck...

Old 09-02-08, 06:45 PM
I had taken the throttle spring and wrapped it around I think like three times. It had tightened up the return but no real change. Also I had sprayed some ether down the carb earlier and had taken the carb off the motor, but not apart. And it had looked clean. Could the governor be sticking? Thanks for all and any input.

Old 09-02-08, 07:11 PM
Well I guess it's possible for the governor to stick, but in all the time I have been doing this, I have never run across this problem. I have seen many carburetors that had a stuck throttle shaft though.

Old 09-02-08, 08:22 PM
I agree with 30 yr. who actually agrees with the small engine shop but you appear reluctant (?). Most likely it is in your carb or linkage and not actual governor. If you have some lacquer in the hole in carb where throttle shaft rests you may have compounded the problem by "wrapping spring like 3 times"
I would:
1)Remove throttle plate, pull out shaft and clean with carb cleanerand spray cleaner into hole in carb. Use a little steel wool to put a good shine on shaft and replace. Wrapping spring once should suffice. Be sure to use blue loctite when replacing throttle plate screw.
2) Spray some lubricant on throttle control plate and be sure that arm with gov. spring is completely free.
3) Physically observe all linkage to be sure none is bent, rubbing fuel line, primer line or anything else.
NOTE: There are different bends in the "z's" at the end of the linkages and it can matter how they are installed. If you removed any be sure they were re-installed correctly.

Old 09-03-08, 07:06 PM
I havent tried anything yet. Because I have been putting in an egress window, let me tell you i would rather work on the jd. So far the the shaft returns fine. Can I put pictures in the forum? And dose anyone know if it is a 7hp. your forum is great and Ill be back with questions be paitent. Thanks again Kelly

Old 09-27-08, 10:15 AM
Hello again, Today I pulled the carb cleaned(but I could not get the butterfly shaft because the screw haaed was going to strip) everything put it back the same way ran it and it did the same thing. But when I pulled the linkage to gov. it ran somewhat better. Now I think I lost the spring fo r the needle too! Just great. I took some pics to see if you guys see anything I am missing. By the way how do you send pics?

Old 09-28-08, 06:00 PM
You can post pics on a hosting site, like photobucket and then place the links in your post.

Old 09-29-08, 07:17 AM
The service manual may hold the answer to your question. If you do not have a service manual for your engine you can get a 3 to 11 HP 4-Cycle L-Head Technician's Handbook - 692509 at the following link:

http://toprake.com/index.php?module=...position=11:11