Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gas leaks from carb float bowl.

09-02-08, 05:12 PM   #1  
Gas leaks from carb float bowl.

Gas is leaking from my float bowl. I have tightened it as much as I can. I don't think it
is leaking from the O-ring. The bowl doesn't have any holes in it, it looks like it is leaking from the
bolt that holds the bowl. I don't see any seals
for this. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links

TX

09-02-08, 05:51 PM   #2  
I might have some ideas for you, but I will need a brand, model and spec numbers off of your engine.

09-02-08, 07:01 PM   #3  
Forgot to mention it is a Sears Craftsman about 7 yrs old.

I forgot to mention that the model number is 917-382781.

TX

09-02-08, 07:15 PM   #4  
I would check the fuel inlet elbow, where the fuel line attaches to the carburetor. These plastic elbows will often crack and fuel will leak down the side of the carburetor. Check the elbow if it spins around easily then it could be the problem.

09-02-08, 07:25 PM   #5  
Thanks. I did notice that the elbow moved easily.

I'll check it out this weekend. Thanks for the advice. Any pointers to where I can order a new one? I looked around on the web for carb info
and I couldn't find a schematic that showed the carb parts.
When taking the linkage off I didn't pay real close attention to where they were hooked. Any pointers on that?

thanks again for your help.

Deltamax19

TX

09-02-08, 07:46 PM   #6  
This is the carburetor that shows to be used on your engine 632078A. This is a Tecumseh part number and parts should be available from most small engine dealers, and Sears. You can look at an exploded view of this carburetor at the Sears parts site, just use the part number as the model and it will bring up a parts breakdown for you to look at.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-02-08, 09:20 PM   #7  
The elbow at the fuel line connection is a possibility, but if it doesn't appear to be leaking there, then the inlet needle is leaking, allowing the fuel to get too high in the bowl. The fuel level in the bowl should never get high enough to leak over it, even if it had no gasket at all. If it does, that means the needle is not shutting off the gas, either because of a bad needle, seat, and/or float.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-04-08, 01:49 PM   #8  
Thanks for the information.

Search this Thread