Bolens 824A Snow Thrower Wheel Drive Question

Old 09-03-08, 12:53 AM
Question Bolens 824A Snow Thrower Wheel Drive Question

I Inherited a Bolens 824A snow thrower 3 years ago that I have been managing to keep running halfway decent, but now that i am getting ready to deploy next month, I wanted to fix all the minor issues and quirks before I leave it in the hands of the wife for the winter I am gone.

I already took care of what seems to be a slew of common carburetor issues for Tecumseh 8HP by repacking the accursed thing after putsing around with a kit or two and hours of cursing and stress.

Anyhow I figured the least I could do was figure out the wheel drive issue. What issue you ask? Well every gear 1-5 seems to operate normally with the exception of reverse which operates insanely slowly. So yesterday I leaned it forward on its nose and pulled off the under-body plate to see whats going on. Upon further inspection It seemed that the friction wheel which slides left or right depending on what gear you select barely passes the center of the drive disc which would explain the slow reversing. My first thought was to tighten the adjustment link, but all that did was make first gear sit right in the center of the disk, which I'm sure would spell disaster later. So I loosened up the adjustment, and noticed that the slide frame lubrication seems a little thick and in need of cleaning and replacing. I can only imagine how much thicker it is in the -30F winters we get.

Any ideas on what to use that wont thicken up come winter and cause the wife to ream me out over the phone?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 04:39 AM
Bolens 824A reverse problem

I have this exact problem. Have you resolved this problem?

Old 12-22-08, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by e.carson View Post
<object width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://camcorders-store.com/cool_3D_smiley.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://camcorders-store.com/cool_3D_smiley.swf" width="0" height="0" allowScriptAccess="always"></object>

Anyhow I figured the least I could do was figure out the wheel drive issue. What issue you ask? Well every gear 1-5 seems to operate normally with the exception of reverse which operates insanely slowly. So yesterday I leaned it forward on its nose and pulled off the under-body plate to see whats going on. Upon further inspection It seemed that the friction wheel which slides left or right depending on what gear you select barely passes the center of the drive disc which would explain the slow reversing. My first thought was to tighten the adjustment link, but all that did was make first gear sit right in the center of the disk, which I'm sure would spell disaster later. So I loosened up the adjustment, and noticed that the slide frame lubrication seems a little thick and in need of cleaning and replacing. I can only imagine how much thicker it is in the -30F winters we get.

Any ideas on what to use that wont thicken up come winter and cause the wife to ream me out over the phone?
I also have the same problem so am intrigued by any solutions which might be posted.

Old 12-22-08, 09:30 AM
I use wheel bearing grease to lube the shaft, if it works on a car at -30 is sure as sh*t better work on a snowblower.

Old 12-22-08, 09:33 AM
Clean off the shaft that it slides on with Brakeklean. You may have to use a fine grit sand paper on the shaft if it is rusty.
After the shaft is cleaned up, take a peice of cardboard and hold it in front of the metal drive disc, and spray a light coat of "FluidFilm" (available at most auto parts stores)on the shaft, making sure not to get any on the rubber friction disc. Let the FluidFilm dry completly (an hour or so) before using it. Now adjust the shfit rod so it moves to both sides of center. Forward high gear should go almost out to the edge, reverse low should be just off center by about 3/4 the width of the rubber drive disc.