Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

John Deere Snowblower

NY

09-04-08, 03:24 PM   #1  
John Deere Snowblower

I have a JD pull start snowblower and the cord has completely come off it and I would like to know how I can replace the cord. I still have the original cord but I do not know how to get it reattached.

Thanks,

niceguy4u36

Sponsored Links

TX

09-04-08, 03:53 PM   #2  
Need the ID numbers off the engine, or at the very least from your Snow Blower.

You will probably want to get a new rope, they get stressed and could easily come loose again if reused.

09-05-08, 02:37 AM   #3  
Usually replacing the recoil start cord is just a matter of removing four or more retaining screws/bolts around the shroud that supports the recoil assembly. The idea is to pre-load the rope pully/disc by winding it in the opposite direction of the pull so that it winds a giant clockspring inside the assembly. Use something to act a a wedge between the pully and the shroud so that the pre-load does not get released and feed the rope in through the rope guide, fish it through the hole in the rope pully and tie a knot in the end to keep it from pulling out. Then release the wedge and slowly allow the rope to be drawn into the assembly. However 30veartech is correct, a degraded pull cord will just snap again later when you least expect it.

Search this Thread