craftsman 5hp tiller

Old 09-04-08, 05:53 PM
craftsman 5hp tiller

I have a craftsman front tine tiller (5hp) that I just recently aquired. It's not in bad shap, a little older but decent looking. The only way it seems to run is when I put gas in the carb. I had the carb off, the diaphram is good, and the fuel pick-up is clear, but yet no gas is making it's way into the carb. The diaphram is wet with gas when I opened it up a 2nd time. I blew air through the top of the carb with it mountd (yummy)and can hear and feel air behind the carb somewhere. Is this normal or is this thing sucking air and where may be the culprit? Gaskets all seem to be fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 06:17 PM
Please post engine brand name, model, type, code, and/or spec numbers.

Old 09-04-08, 06:37 PM
That would have been a good idea, sorry.
Briggs 5hp
mod. 135202
type. 0119 01
code. 951215yd

Old 09-04-08, 07:13 PM
You say the diaphragm is good, did you replace it? The 691713 diaphragm is the fuel pump diaphragm and may be the reason fuel is not being pulled from the fuel tank. Take a close look at the metal the fuel pump diaphragm contacts and ensure it is clean and smooth. The surface between the carburetor and fuel tank is notorious for leaking air on these type carburetors. If necessary, apply sealant to the gasket to prevent an air leak.

Old 09-08-08, 03:52 AM
Cleaned off the base of the carb., gooped some sealant on. Bugger runs like new! Thanks for the help...