Troybilt 5550 generator Gas Leak

Old 09-05-08, 10:08 AM
Troybilt 5550 generator Gas Leak

I have a Troybilt 5550 generator that is leaking at the throttle body and leaking into the air filter box. What might be the cause for this? I just got it out and was getting ready to crank it before the hurricanes roll in. Is there any fix that I could perform myself?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-08, 11:26 AM
I moved your post so you have a thread dedicated to your subject.

Not knowing engine and model number, I will give shot anyway. Please in the future always include brand model, and other needed numbers.

The carburetor float is most likely sticking or dragging allowing a continuous flow of gas through the carburetor and into the air filter box and possibly the crankcase. Check the engine oil to see if it has been contaminated with gas. If the oil is contaminated change it before running the engine.

Remove the carburetor bowl and the float and inlet needle. Pay attention to the position of the needle spring, if so equipped, it will need to go back in the same position.

Polish the needle cavity using a wooden meat skewer, or similar devise, with one end wrapped with NEVR-DULL metal polish. The wrapped tip should fit tightly in the needle cavity. Chuck the skewer in a drill and insert the end wrapped with the NEVR-DULL in the needle cavity. If a drill won’t fit in the area use fingers to rotate skewer. Operate the drill slowly several seconds and the needle cavity is usually clean and polished. If you do not have NEVR-DULL use a wooden skewer, wrap the tip with cotton then saturate the cotton with the metal polish of your choice.

Install and set inlet needle and float. Place a few drops of solvent or fuel on the inlet needle.

Reassemble carburetor, place fuel in tank and see if carburetor is holding.

If the carburetor is removed from the engine, you can polish the seat and pressure test the needle seat by inverting the carburetor and applying 5-15 PSI air pressure to the fuel inlet fitting. A seat that functions properly should hold the pressure. Move the float with your finger and observe that it moves freely.

Be sure to change the contaminated oil after you repair the carburetor.

This link may help if your engine is a Briggs and Stratton:

http://faqs.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faq...cF9wdj0mcF9jdj

Last edited by Airman; 09-05-08 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added information